crazy interview questions

Did he get the job? has he gone back and stuck it top the interviewer?

With regards to that question on 1 being hardworking and 10 being smart, I think I’d also give the answer as a 5, since I would see it as the optimal answer. Say you are smart, and they’d write you off as being as being arrogant. So, 5 will be the answer which I feel is the best-equal amounts of hardwork and genius, though I wonder how many people will give the asnwer of 1, and say, “Genius is 99% sweat and 1% inspiration”. To me it sounds kinda lame, though not politically incorrect.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Gross. I don’t want to have dinner with any dead > person. Imagine all the flies buzzing around him. not just that… just having a meal with a ghost is enough to freak me out…scary. i don’t think i can sit there and eat…just the sight of the spirit is enough to make me spirit away

I was once asked “if you can’t have this job, or have your second choice, what’s your third choice?” I said without hesitation “commecial pilot” which was true. And it was 2.5 months after September 11. And I’m brown. But it was in Canada so I got a call back.

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > A friend of mine had an interview with an asset > management firm in 2004 when oil prices hit $50. > The interviewer asked my friend where he thought > oil would be in 5 years. My friend responded a > lot higher than it is now. The interviewer > laughed at him and said it will go back to its > historical level of around $20. When I was interviewed by this numbnut at Barclays NY right after my undergrad, question he asked me was what I would invest in if I had 100million. I told him I dunno, something like 60m in oil and 40m in gold based on inflationary pressures. He laughed at me, then dinged me. This was back in the 3Q of 05.

Interviewing at Cambridge, I was asked to describe a mug (the thing you drink out of) without using certain words. I was nervous and my answer sucked pretty bad.

I would have done exactly the same. You have 100M and you invest 60% Oil and 40% Gold? Why not 100% of your capital on Google? hobbes928 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > former trader Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > A friend of mine had an interview with an asset > > management firm in 2004 when oil prices hit $50. > > > The interviewer asked my friend where he > thought > > oil would be in 5 years. My friend responded a > > lot higher than it is now. The interviewer > > laughed at him and said it will go back to its > > historical level of around $20. > > > When I was interviewed by this numbnut at Barclays > NY right after my undergrad, question he asked me > was what I would invest in if I had 100million. I > told him I dunno, something like 60m in oil and > 40m in gold based on inflationary pressures. He > laughed at me, then dinged me. This was back in > the 3Q of 05.

MrDonadei Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would have done exactly the same. > > You have 100M and you invest 60% Oil and 40% Gold? > Why not 100% of your capital on Google? > > hobbes928 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > former trader Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > A friend of mine had an interview with an > asset > > > management firm in 2004 when oil prices hit > $50. > > > > > The interviewer asked my friend where he > > thought > > > oil would be in 5 years. My friend responded > a > > > lot higher than it is now. The interviewer > > > laughed at him and said it will go back to > its > > > historical level of around $20. > > > > > > When I was interviewed by this numbnut at > Barclays > > NY right after my undergrad, question he asked > me > > was what I would invest in if I had 100million. > I > > told him I dunno, something like 60m in oil and > > 40m in gold based on inflationary pressures. He > > laughed at me, then dinged me. This was back in > > the 3Q of 05. Because I didn’t have a crystal ball. Easy to act like some pretentious tough guy knowing today’s information vs. yesterday, what had the greatest realized returns. Did you invest all your capital into that single stock, google? Wise one, tell us the single stock that will have the best return over the next 1-2 years.

If I had 100mn USD then I don’t need your job sucker =)

hobbes928 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > MrDonadei Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I would have done exactly the same. > > > > You have 100M and you invest 60% Oil and 40% > Gold? > > Why not 100% of your capital on Google? > > > > hobbes928 Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > former trader Wrote: > > > > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > > > > ----- > > > > A friend of mine had an interview with an > > asset > > > > management firm in 2004 when oil prices hit > > $50. > > > > > > > The interviewer asked my friend where he > > > thought > > > > oil would be in 5 years. My friend > responded > > a > > > > lot higher than it is now. The interviewer > > > > laughed at him and said it will go back to > > its > > > > historical level of around $20. > > > > > > > > > When I was interviewed by this numbnut at > > Barclays > > > NY right after my undergrad, question he > asked > > me > > > was what I would invest in if I had > 100million. > > I > > > told him I dunno, something like 60m in oil > and > > > 40m in gold based on inflationary pressures. > He > > > laughed at me, then dinged me. This was back > in > > > the 3Q of 05. > > Because I didn’t have a crystal ball. Easy to act > like some pretentious tough guy knowing today’s > information vs. yesterday, what had the greatest > realized returns. Did you invest all your capital > into that single stock, google? Wise one, tell us > the single stock that will have the best return > over the next 1-2 years. i think you’re missing the point. he was saying that your suggestion of 60% in oil and 40% in gold is equivalent to investing in a single stock…a very concentrated (risky)position to be putting 100M in. with the benefit of hindsight, you were clearly right…but you could have just as easily been wrong.

You’re missing his point hobbes. No prudent manager of money would have a 40% gold allocation and 60% oil. A winning answer would be to take those down to 15% each, justify your inflation expectation, and include a diversified portfolio of equities, a fixed-income portfolio and perhaps a small allocation to alternatives like hedge funds or real estate to round out the remaining 70%. I wouldn’t have hired you either. In the 2Q06 you would have been down some 30%. No institutional investor accepts that kind of volatility.

diversify yes, but to keep the conversation simple, they asked allocations between 2 asset classes. I should have mentioned that.

You know what I would do if I had a 100 million dollars? I would invest half of it in low risk mutual funds and then take the other half over to my friend Asadulah who works in securities.

2 chicks at once. F’n A

1. Yes, you should have 2) And since when oil and gold are two different asset classes? Probably he was expecting you to say something like equity + bonds and to define the appropriate ratio on the basis of the client’s profile :slight_smile: hobbes928 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > diversify yes, but to keep the conversation > simple, they asked allocations between 2 asset > classes. I should have mentioned that.

I’ve been lucky so far. No crazy questions thrown at me yet, and I’ve done a LOT of interviews. Actually, one guy was trying to throw me off by asking trick questions. He’d throw incorrect facts into scenarios that he’d want me to analyze. Fortunately, I caught them all. Got offered a position but didn’t take it.