Credentials

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > No, not pursuing my charter, just enjoy the > discussions about investing and careers here and > trying to provide a perspective as someone that > has worked in equity research, private equity and > now at a hedge fund without the need for the CFA. > > > JOE2010, perhaps it’s not obvious to you but the > very fact that I have developed careers in the > aforementioned fields without the charter actually > strengthens the commonly held belief that > credentials are not the be-all and end-all, as > opposed to weakening it. Not earning the charter > also didn’t hinder me from getting into a top 3 > business school, but who knows, maybe the > admissions committees have it all wrong? So in > fact, you actually do agree with my assessment > unless you yourself are one of those “credential > collectors.” .

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > No, not pursuing my charter, just enjoy the > discussions about investing and careers here and > trying to provide a perspective as someone that > has worked in equity research, private equity and > now at a hedge fund without the need for the CFA. > > > JOE2010, perhaps it’s not obvious to you but the > very fact that I have developed careers in the > aforementioned fields without the charter actually > strengthens the commonly held belief that > credentials are not the be-all and end-all, as > opposed to weakening it. Not earning the charter > also didn’t hinder me from getting into a top 3 > business school, but who knows, maybe the > admissions committees have it all wrong? So in > fact, you actually do agree with my assessment > unless you yourself are one of those “credential > collectors.” Bullsh#t. You only need money to have an Ivy League education and some networks to build a career. Ask me, I should know.

It’s actually more affordable to get an Ivy League education if you are poor…

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Bullsh#t. You only need money to have an Ivy > League education and some networks to build a > career. Ask me, I should know. No thanks, I’ll pass. Next…

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > numi Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > No, not pursuing my charter, just enjoy the > > discussions about investing and careers here > and > > trying to provide a perspective as someone that > > has worked in equity research, private equity > and > > now at a hedge fund without the need for the > CFA. > > > > > > JOE2010, perhaps it’s not obvious to you but > the > > very fact that I have developed careers in the > > aforementioned fields without the charter > actually > > strengthens the commonly held belief that > > credentials are not the be-all and end-all, as > > opposed to weakening it. Not earning the > charter > > also didn’t hinder me from getting into a top 3 > > business school, but who knows, maybe the > > admissions committees have it all wrong? So in > > fact, you actually do agree with my assessment > > unless you yourself are one of those > “credential > > collectors.” > > > Bullsh#t. You only need money to have an Ivy > League education and some networks to build a > career. Ask me, I should know. No sh*t, a lot of people like to act as if it was a great personal achievement for them to get the degree’s and careers they have and that others who do not have the same level of accomplishment simply are incapable or didn’t work hard enough. What really sets these people apart from the pack is the fact that for vast majority of them they grew up in a situation where they were influenced and groomed from a young age that they would go to an Ivy League school and pursue an elite profession and their families had the means and the desire to support them. While I didn’t go to an Ivy League school, I did go to one of the top schools in my country and I have to acknowledge that while I had the grades to get in, it was almost entirely my parent’s influence and resources that got me there.

Interesting. Well in hopes of steering this conversation away from where it’s heading, because it’s just mutually destructive, I want to thank everyone for their comments. Numi, you mentioned that you have given a lot of advice to people and helped get them into equity research. Got any leads for these types of positions in NYC?

Sure, I have some leads…drop me an e-mail and we can discuss

Dood… you need a great gmat score, great undergrad grades, and great work experience to get into an ivey league MBA these days; I don’t think it’s so easy any more for rich families to bribe their kids’ way into them. Do you see Harvard accepting Paris Hilton? I don’t think they’d let her in cuz her gmat score, assuming she’d even try it, would likely be well under 500 if I had to guess. they’re used to 710-720 scores, at least.

If you’re me, you need the CFA. If you’re numi, you don’t. Each person is different… However, in business valuation I see a ton of alphabet soup and it looks kind of ridiculous when the credentials are “soft” with nothing of significance (i.e. CFA, CPA).

…and it drives me nuts when people put their degree after their name (i.e. Bizval4, MBA). It’s a degree, not a designation (and I have an MBA). Sorry to rant, but I see it all too often and it screams of chode.

Hey Numi I shot you an e-mail. Bizval4, yea it doesn’t make sense.