Credit Analyst

If you do any negotiating the best suggestion is to be ultra prepared. I was able to knock out an extra 40% on my bonus last year by asking for a sit-down meeting with my bosses a month before numbers were announced. When I went into the meeting I had everything I wanted to say written on a sheet of paper, including why I thought I deserved more money, how much of the firm’s revenues I deserved to get and why, and what I planned to do going forward to add even more value to the firm. Another one of our analysts was able to negotiate a $10,000 increase in his starting salary when he joined the firm by writing my boss a long email about what he’s bringing to the table, why he’s worth the increase, and how it would motivate him to perform.

Yes… I would definitely need to prepare my speech beforehand since I am not the best at improvising… Thank you for your response.

topher Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > FIAnalyst, thanks for the response. I was under > the impression that this position was better than > other previous Credit Analyst positions I had > either interviewed for or seen ads for, and your > insight confirms that. > > bandit9, 45-50k? Doesn’t that seem a little low? I > know this position would require about 60 hr > weeks, so 45-50k is a little low in my opinion. > > FIAnalyst Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Just to be clear, there are very large > differences > > in being a credit analyst and being a credit > > analyst. > > > > The term is vague. It can refer to a risk > > management-type role. Or it can relate to an > > investment role in the bond market. > > > > There are obviously very large differences in > job > > responsibility and career path between the two > > roles. > > > > The role posted is the latter. Your job isn’t > all > > that different from an equity analyst: you will > > perform fundamental analyst on an issuer and > make > > recommendations. This looks like a municipal > > role, so I can’t speak specifically to it, but > I’d > > assume they simply analyze the muni issuers and > > make relative value calls. > > > > Career path generally tracks the same as on the > > equity side, except plug-in fixed income > > securities. If you’re a PM you’d be overseeing > a > > muni portfolio rather than an equity portfolio, > > etc… Depends, there are alot of entry level credit analyst positions at the Canadian Banks that are more to do with commercial lending to SME’s and mid market non-public companies. Analysts in these positions tend to either move into commercial lending themselves or risk management. they also generally dont put much more then 40 hrs a week, its a pretty good gig and im actually currently looking for a position like that because right now thats where id like to be, the work is interesting, there are decent exit ops, the work/life balance is nice and it counts as applicable work experience.