Critique my resume

I am currently an investment consult(basically financial advisor) in Minneapolis. I passed level 1 in December and will be applying for asset management positions. Please provide feedback on how I can approve my resume with my given experience. Thanks: SUMMARY: I am a motivated finance professional seeking to enter into an asset management position. I have passed level 1 of the CFA exam and constantly study the markets to improve my skills and knowledge. I have a proven track record of exceeding sales benchmarks in all of my recent financial positions. WORK EXPERIENCE : Investment Consultant: (Company Name) May 2007 - Present • Consult with full service clients on how to best allocate their investment portfolio based on their goals and objectives. • Developed an understanding of complex trading strategies through interactions with self directed clients. Rel Mgr/Underwriter: (Company Name) March 2006 – May 2007 • Worked simulataneously on the underwriting and sales team to generate more business from each client. • Accelerated in a fast paced selling environment. Set the new loan volume record during my first full month. Licensed Banker: (Company Name) February 2005 – March 2006 • Provided a full spectrum of financial services including: opening accounts, personal and home equity loans, mutual funds and annuities. • Achieved sales excellence each quarter and consistently led my district. EDUCATION: Bachelor of Science Sep 2000 - May 2004 St Cloud State University St Cloud, MN • 3.4 GPA. Major: Finance • Completed additional training in: management, marketing, business computer systems, accounting and economics. CERTIFICATIONS/SKILLS: • Series 7 and 66 licensed •Enrolled in Wall Street Prep’s self study course to improve my financial modeling skills •Managed a six sigma project team to implement a training program for a new department

Be unique. How many resumes do you think asset managers get that look exactly like that?

I am no expert, but less is more I have been told on a resume. Perhaps leave the summary out and be very concise in the job duty description. Place the CFA in the certification/skills at the top too. Money managers will love/expect that. Also quantify as much as you can to show results. Did you improve processes at any of your jobs? Another way to look at it is what did you do that your coworker did/would not?

Kill the summary statement. Also, what types of leadership, volunteer, or cultural work did you do in college? Do you have any outside interests/hobbies? These are good things to have in order to “round out” your resume and give the interviewers a sense of who you are. Otherwise, it’s too generic.

You need to understand the industry better. Any recruiter at an asset management company will think you are ignorant if you ask for an “asset management position”. You need to research the positions that you would like to be considered for and that you are qualified for. And no, you are not qualified for a position in portfolio management or research.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Sounds like I should get rid of the summary section and possible move the certifications to the top. I realize I’m not qualified for portfolio management at this point. What I’m trying to do is get into a position that could build towards that down the road.

I put more bullet points in your work experience. It looks really bare. Use present tense for current postion/past for others. Take out that long summary.

Investment Consultant: (Company Name) May 2007 - Present • ConsultED with [DELETEfull service] clients on how to [DELETEbest] allocate their investment portfolio based on their goals and objectives. • Developed an understanding of complex trading strategies [DELETEthrough interactions with self directed clients.] YOU ARE JUST AN ORDER TAKER??? Rel Mgr/Underwriter: (Company Name) March 2006 – May 2007 • [DELETEWorked simulataneouslyTYPO on the] CONTRIBUTED or similar TO BOTH THE underwriting and sales teamS to generate more business from each client. • [DELETEAccelerated] WHAT??? replace with SUCCEEDED in a fast paced selling environment. [DELETESet the new loan volume record during my first full month.] IF YOU MUST HAVE THIS USE ACTUAL NUMBERS Licensed Banker: (Company Name) February 2005 – March 2006 • [DELETEProvided a full spectrum of financial services including:] openingOPENED accounts, [DELETEpersonal and home] equity loans, mutual funds and annuities. • [DELETE ENTIRE BULLETAchieved sales excellence each quarter and consistently led my district.] replace with Exceeded sales targets or something similar.