Crypto

Top tip - buy STOX. Right now it’s trading at $2.63 but this is about to get pumped! Mayweather is coming out tomorrow with STOX on his shorts and everybody who anybody is gonna be buying that!! I see it jump 10x overnight.

Do it!

can’t the big banks get together and create their own cyptocurrency in like 5 days? and then say that this bank-banked currency is accepted at big banks, thereby crushing any non-bank-backed cryptocurrency? i don’t see why the big banks would be like “yeah, let’s adopt bitcoin or dogcoin for our cryptocurrency when we can just take the best of all and put it out there with our and the government’s backing”. weren’t bitcoin and most coins founded on black markets that basically every bank and government want to eradicate? wouldn’t sending the value of bitcoins and every cryptocurrency to zero accomplish a lot of what they want to acheive?

Doge! Pronounced like dough je!

So wait, just so were clear, these things have no real value, right? Who is buying bitcoin other than people who want to wait to see it go up in price?

Well, some businesses use crypto. I have used it for a currency rather than an investment.

it will always be dogcoin to me.

I like Peter Schiff’s rants on crypto, highly entertaining. :grin:

Personally I have zero understanding of the topic, and zero interest in building an understanding.

[Video:https://youtu.be/DebXX7naIr8?t=3m25s]

whaaaaaaaaat

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-08-25/burger-king-russia-introduces-whoppercoin-fast-food-industrys-first-digital-currency

i can’t wait to use my whoppercoins to buy a house.

More like theyre gonna track down satoshi and break his bones until he hands over his bitcoin stash.

mmm utility coin

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-31/ubs-virtual-currency-group-adds-six-more-financial-institutions

This is ridiculous…

http://tinyurl.com/y9ckrfws

EDIT: Had to change the link due to an obscenity in the URL. It’s a Zero Hedge article. I know some don’t like ZH but it goes to show how unbelievable this crypto market is. People are making these out of thin air. Regulators are eventually going to come down on these hard.

the real question is what happens to the stock market and consumer spending when pretty much all of these are worth zero?

Like all the money that emerged from the air, the crypto currency will eventually return to where it came from.

Today someone on my social media feed posted they put $3K into bitcoin, speculative, hoping to ride the wave. There were like 60 responses, most were positive (delusion in my view, but it’s interesting to study what the general public thinks).

Got me thinking, we are in yr8 of the bull market. These sub-bubbles get stress tested when the macro-bubble pops. How does bitcoin react to a recession, are there theories on this? Is there a “run on the bitcoin bank”, or is there a “flight to bitcoin safety”?

Great question.

I see it as a flight to quality - that will be Gold, Silver and BitCoin.

These are all good questions (this and the other topics brought up).

I’m not sure the overall market impact on a cryptocurrency crash will be that large on the markets. The total market cap of the top 10 cryptocurrencies is ~$132B (USD) and most of that is Bitcoin and Ethereum ($100B total). The S&P 500 has a total market cap >$20T so crypto isn’t that large. I would speculate that there could be an impact on certain stocks in the tech space, though. NVIDIA seems to be a stock a lot of these cryptocurrency investors like. That stock has gone up a ton, too. I have not run a correlation of NVIDIA and Bitcoin but I guess they’d be quite correlated. Other high valuation, techy companies with artificial intelligence end-markets could be at risk b/c I imagine there is a lot of overlap in the investor base.

I actually think NVIDIA is a good company but I hypothesize its valuation is vulnerable to a crypto crash. All speculation on my end – I don’t follow tech and I haven’t looked the data. AMD is another stock boosted by this AI/tech stuff and unlike NVIDIA it has a worse reputation in its space.

All hype IMO. Will crash and burn, making some people very rich and making people very poor.

It is being amalgamated in the Startup hype as well, and now the financial press is going ape sh1t with it.

Possibly a wave to ride while it lasts, if one has such an inclination. I don’t and don’t even find it interesting.

Except that it is not “worth” that amount. It cannot be redeemed in exchange of any significant tangible asset because it isn’t a real currency.

These gains are not even worth being called “paper gains”.