Currently struggling, massively. What DO I DO?!

having a hard time in fixed income. iam already at the reading 42 almost there. haha i’d failed to achieve my goal for the month. i should already finish book 5 this month, but iam currently at page 270/500 pages for book 5. this is the only month that i failed to achieve my monthly goal. as planned, it should be 1 book per month. :smiley: started since september for book 1 oct book 2 dec book 3 jan book 4 feb book 5 mar book 6 hopefully i can speed up more. iam trying my best to study through cfai book, and will do final review on april and may, in which i plan to use schweser books to finally polish the curriculum. iam not thinking to use the schweser qbank as a basis for questions, but rather, iam thinking just to use all of the questions given in the cfai book. all of the blue box sample questions, and the end of chapter questions. i think it will really prepare us for the level 2 monster. all my life and extra time has been spent studying for this level 2 exam. but my scores are still in the range of 50% to 70% based on cfai questions. my average score i believe is 60% which i should study more! still sleeping for 6 hours and reading for 3 hours when i woke up and go to work in week days. and full 16hours study every weekends. i hope effort will also be graded by cfa institute hahahaha .

salute to those who already finished the curriculum in very less time!

i cannot read the curriculum fast.

it takes me a month for every book.

good

luck everyone!

i would love to sleep 9 hours everyday … i usually sleep 8 :slight_smile: … it has always worked for me … else my mind n my thinking is cloudy in the morning …

what i currently do is that i come to work early … a little earlier then others … n i sit down to study … put in a serious one or half hour… at this time i dont even check emails or assignments… im more alert in office because i come all prepared to work … n all … so this works better for me then wake up early n sit n study yawning … lol

as soon as my alloted time is over … i set cfa aside n start the work n dont look or think about it any more …

in the night depending on the week day i am able to put in 2 or sometime 3 hours .,…

the thought that keeps me going is “there is no way out of it then to STUDY” … :slight_smile:

i would suggest to start making your formula sheets for every topic side by side … n carrry it with u … start looking at it whenever u can … during tube rides etc

and please dont stop working out … u actually will be needing it more during may … when u will want to release your stress (it works for me ) …but yes maybe switch to home workouts instead of gym …

:slight_smile:

I’ve to disagree with this. What works for one person as far as sleep might not work well with other people. Our bodies usually don’t ‘allow’ us to sleep more than we need to. That’s why we wake up even without an alarm on the weekends.

“Though research cannot pinpoint an exact amount of sleep need by people at different ages, the preceding table identifies the “rule-of-thumb” amounts most experts have agreed upon. Nevertheless, it’s important to pay attention to your own individual needs by assessing how you feel on different amounts of sleep. Are you productive, healthy and happy on seven hours of sleep? Or does it take you nine hours of quality ZZZs to get you into high gear? Do you have health issues such as being overweight? Are you at risk for any disease? Are you experiencing sleep problems? Do you depend on caffeine to get you through the day? Do you feel sleepy when driving? These are questions that must be asked before you can find the number that works for you.”

http://sleepfoundation.org/how-sleep-works/how-much-sleep-do-we-really-need

you ever sleep 9-10 hours and wake up feeling lethargic? i for one have multiple weekend mornings where i wake up naturally at 7 feeling great, but fall back asleep and wake up dazed and out of it. I think if he can slim down the # ofhours he can squeeze more studying in during the day. I also think your body needs to find a rythym to operate and once you consistently sleep for 7 hours you will wake up feeling great and have 2 extra hours a day to study.

+1 re: your last sentence

My suggestion is to learn how to sleep better, not more. Definitely don’t cancel your gym membership. 1) Working out will help you sleep better at night. 2) Your mind and body aren’t separate. How do you guys expect to mentally perform if you are physically out of shape? Your brain still needs oxygen, nutrients, etc. College diets of pizza, redbull, and adderall aren’t sustainable.

Here’s an easy tip…Toss on blue light blocking glasses for that time you spend watching tv or playing on your phone/computer before bed. You will fall asleep (and into deeper sleep) faster. Just don’t wear them in front of strangers.

Here’s a brief article on the science: http://ayearofproductivity.com/smartphone-light-keeping-you-up-at-night/

The pair I own: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000USRG90/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, If you want to step it up a notch, download a sleep tracker app or purchase a Lark wristwatch alarm clock. I’m a bit of a body “hacker,” and I’ve learned a great deal about what works for me by tracking my sleep. I don’t buy into the apps that wake you up during light REM though because overall it’s still less hours - despite waking up more “refreshed.”

Also, make sure to sleep in COMPLETE darkness. Wear your grandma’s sleep mask and earplugs if you have to.

If still struggling, pick up a bottle of ZMA at gnc. I’ts just a combination of “zinc, magnesium aspartate, and vitamin B6” per wiki. You will have some really deep sleep. So much that I’ll warn you some dreams will be very lucid…it’s like watching your dreams in HD.

Good luck!

Along the same vein as actually getting to the gym sometimes being the hardest part of working out, try the Pomodoro Technique. Essentially, it’s about setting short intervals (25 min or so) of study, followed by a mini-breaks of 3-5 minutes. It’s a lot easier to commit to putting in just a 1/2 hour or a 1/2 hour more when you’re fried than endless hours. The mini breaks keeps you from getting mentally fatigued. You can read about it on Wikipedia. There’s a Pomodoro app on iTunes, but a timer on your phone works just as well. :slight_smile:

Also, drink a lot of decaffeinated beverages - being dehydrated makes you tired. If you work on computers all day, get eye drops. You feel more tired when your eyes are dry.

guys i need your suggestions in L1 , i read and understand the concepts first, finish all the books , and then started practicing EOC. I am good at reading, i finish reading easily but then in EOC i get stuck. I am thinking to complete the readings by april 7th, and then do the EOC of every reading . this way concepts will get revised too. and will do 3-4 mocks in May.

any sugestion, Am i heading in a right direction?

Give, I’ve been scanning the forum tonight and you’re killing me. I’m felling a little bit of anxiety coming from you about your strategy, etc. Listen, everyone who has replied that you need to review this material more than once for it to stick is absolutely right. If you remember even 10% of what you read the first time through, you’re doing well. In my mind, my first pass through the material is about understanding the concepts and the answers to the example and EOC questions. It feels rotten to get them wrong after I just completed the reading knowing that my retention is going downhill from there. Absorb what you can and then move on to the next session. Personally, I expect to remember very little. The cool thing though is come May when I start reviewing the material, it has a way of coming together.

Give, I’ve been scanning the forum tonight and you’re killing me. I’m felling a little bit of anxiety coming from you about your strategy, etc. Listen, everyone who has replied that you need to review this material more than once for it to stick is absolutely right. If you remember even 10% of what you read the first time through, you’re doing well. In my mind, my first pass through the material is about understanding the concepts and the answers to the example and EOC questions. It feels rotten to get them wrong after I just completed the reading knowing that my retention is going downhill from there. Absorb what you can and then move on to the next session. Personally, I expect to remember very little. The cool thing though is come May when I start reviewing the material, it has a way of coming together.

Can always count on AF for someone else’s anxiety to make yours look like a stroll on the beach.

I kid, I kid.

Most days, my biggest takeaway from studying is that I’m toast. LOL

Most days, my biggest takeaway from studying is that I’m toast. LOL