Debt worth a top 3 MBA?

^ I have a tough time believing that.

What do you guys think of an MBA from OXFORD? It is a one year MBA and half the cost of harvard. Yes, half the cost because it is one year.

You should generally check employment statistics and class profile to get a sense of a school.

Oxford’s business school is very young, founded in 1996 only. One of the main reasons you go to b-school is access to its network and recruiting. Oxford’s is not particularly strong though the university itself obviously has a very good reputation.

According to Bloomberg Businessweek, only 33% of Oxford MBA’s have accepted a job offer by graduation and 57% within 3 months of graduation (http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/full_time_mba_profiles/oxford.html). This is very poor compared to the top 15 US B-schools.

My inexperienced impression is that Oxford is a good regional school but way, way behind places like LBS, INSEAD and even HEC Paris, IMD, ESADE in Europe. Also don’t overlook the fact that a one year MBA means no chance for an internship and a very accelerated recruiting timeline. Its not an optimal choice if you are a career-switcher.

All depends if you want to change industry or remain in the same one.

Wow, that’s actually pretty bad. Basically, there is a 50% chance you will be unemployed for months after graduating from this program.

I’d be interested to know why.

Changing topic for a little bit. Is INSEAD hacksaw? for a 1 year program, the cost isnt hacksaw (?)

Those are some really crappy stats. Schools generally cheat a bit by inflating those by temporarily “hiring” students who can’t find a job, so the “real” stats must be incredibly sh*tty.

INSEAD is the best b-school in Europe. They share career services with Wharton and Kellogg (Northwestern). Do a little research dude, this is like asking if HBS is legit.

Oxford MBA is weak. In Europe the 2 dominant b-schools are LBS (for finance) and INSEAD (for consulting).

A top 3 MBA (HBS/Stanford/Wharton) is worth it for almost anyone due to the strength of the name brand, prestige, quality of network, and unprecedented access to top firms across multiple industries. Heck, there’s a guy at HBS who sold his startup for like $100 million but still came to school because he felt that Harvard was worth it. I know multiple finance guys who made seven-figures including bonus but went to those 3 schools for similar reasons.

May be they wanted to take the vacation :-p although not sure abt the quality of HCBs at Top 10 MBA.

Well this guy went to a state school for undergrad and wanted to rebrand. He also wanted to be around super smart accomplished people and expand his network. So going to HBS with tons of money in his bank made total sense for him.

Lol

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to study for GMAT and I’ve registered to take it in last week of Aug so that I can submit at least 2-3 apps in R1. Numi, do you think 4-5 weeks would be enough for good prep?

hamada.smaili, are you going for MBA (GMAT) this year?

Yes. They wanted a vacation as well as the invaluable network.

HBS and Wharton have a decent number of attractive girls.

Yes, that would be fine. Take the free GMATPrep test to figure out where you stand first, and from there shore up your relevant weaknesses. As long as you can get 700 or above you’ll be fine…don’t fret about it. Just get it done.

I gave myself a three week window to prepare for the GMAT and that was enough. I tend to work better under pressure. If I planned it five weeks in advance, I would have waited a couple weeks before studying anyway. But that’s just me.

4-5 weeks should be fine but it really comes down to how well you know yourself and your study habits. I recommend you start by addressing your weak spots first.

Thanks a bunch Numi.

ninja yes i will take gmat first week of sept. I will study for 5 weeks, someone gave me the manhattan prep so i will do every single practice question there and hopefully that will be enough