Did you change your batteries?

I think the only way to know when the battery is dying is when the calculator shuts off. Then you’ll know.

The display in the 12c flashes when the batteries are getting low. Advantage 12c.

I always change the batteries. And I always bring two calculators.

I get weird looks, but I’m neurotic and paranoid as hell and I would rather just have the peace of mind.

Haha, well played.

Two calculator is normal. Two or three pencils is normal, too.

I saw somebody once who brought (I’m serious) - five calculators and about 20 pencils. That seems a little excessive.

Maybe on analystforum it is the norm! The place where I took level 1, the general population was much less prepared. I was probably the only person with 1 additional calculator.

There was one guy who actually showed up after the doors closed, and the proctors let him in. He was also carrying in his hand some kind of Schweser study material (I think the secret sauce). The proctors took that from him but he was still allowed to sit for the exam.

So it’s definitely OK to bring two (approved) calculators?

What about mechanical pencils (assuming they are no. 2)?

I read all of the FAQs and tips on the CFA website this evening, but did not see any mention of dual calculators or mechanical pencils. Thanks for the input. Good luck, everyone.

You may bring as many approved calculators / pencils as you like.

I recommend no less than: 5 HP12C calculators, 2 spare batteries, and 3 dozen pencils,

Why 5 you ask? because

1 calc may stop working

1 calc may be stolen

1 calc may be crapped on (see sink story)

1 calc may be accidently crushed

I lol’ed. If I suspected my luck to be that bad… well, I would have bigger problems to worry about then passing an exam.

4 is fine because it’s impossible to crush a 12c.

Remember, after you change batteries, there are a couple of settings that should be changed. Decimal places is one… I forget the other…

Also, the BA2 doesn’t just shut off. The display is faded but still legible for days/weeks/months depending on use.

I tried to change the batteries, but the screws stripped. I was using a phillips size 0 screwdriver. What is the correct size screwdriver to use?