Different types of jobs in the industry

I see a number of posts asking whether someone should take Path A vs. Path B, or Job Offer 1 vs. Job Offer 2. Is there a resource (website, book, etc) that breaks down the different types of positions in the industry, specifically for CFA members? Such as job titles, daily tasks, salary range, hours, etc. (It’s easy to say that Equity Research Analysts analyze a specific industry, for example, but what do they actually do on a day to day basis?) I feel like Grad School and the CFA readings are great to learn about the material, but they don’t really give any indication of what specific positions you can use this knowledge for. As someone trying to break into the Investments industry (currently in Corporate Finance / Budgeting), such a website/book would be incredibly helpful.

try “The Vault Guide to Finance”

Thanks! One of the first articles I saw was “A Day in the Life: Investment Research Associate”…exactly what I was looking for!

this can be useful http://www.efinancialcareers.com/images/fuseads/inhouse/cifm_us.pdf

SanFranMatt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks! One of the first articles I saw was “A > Day in the Life: Investment Research > Associate”…exactly what I was looking for! Just for kicks i went and read that article, it’s funny but i have that same role at a major mutual fund, and the article is pretty exaggerated in my opinion. For example i dont initiate coverage on a name everyday. However when i do it takes alot llonger than the 45min increments that the article seems to suggest. Often spend a week maybe even two just to pick up 1 new name. I notice i waste a ton of time each day looking up quotes on bloomberg and marquee. I dont listen to a conference call everyday. I do read all the major papers, BTW Barron’s is a good one to add, but usually at 8ish rather than 7. SS vmail dont take me 30min to get through. It’s usually a simultaneous action of deleting along with the sell-side note through blast email. And I dont go to the gym and then came back to finish the ppt. I probably would have just finished all ppt and then went to the gym (common logistics).

ooo thanks volkovv thats good stuff