Distance you travel to work?

akanska Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Had a 1.5 hr commute (each way) when I lived in OC > and worked 45 miles away in LA… and that was > when I left by 6:00 am and stayed at the office > till 7:30ish. Obviously left me drained after a > while. Really investigate the train option before > buying in San Diego. I looked into it and it > really was not pragmatic. Beside the fact that its > cost prohibitive (unless you utilize only 1 metro > system), the hours are too limited for people in > our field. I assume you’d do Amtrak to LA Metro, > and unfortunately Amtrak is just not geared to > commuters; San Diego-LA surfrider is ~$25 > roundtrip w/ 10 pack discount. Add parking, LA > metropass, and an absurd taxi fare/ hotel stay > every time you miss the last train out of Grand > Central (i think it was at ~7:40pm) and then > compare housing costs. > > Now I have a 15 minute commute and LOVE it. Thanks for the insight. It seems like a good option for somebody who doesn’t work in Financial Services. I proposed the idea to my fiance last night, and mentioned a huge deterrent would be the late nights at the office. She replied, “Well, I could just come pick you up if you miss the train.” I think she temporarily forgot how often I work past 8 p.m…

10 mins by walk + 5 mins w8ting time + 10 mins by train = max 30 mins. Not bad at all. Up to 1 hour, I think it’s not a great problem especially if u like ur job.

About 20-25 mins on the Underground in London. No changes, though, and I get a seat about 50% of the time b/c the Westbound District Line is really not too bad.

10 min bus ride or 25 min walk. the bus ride is usually saved for when its -15 or colder (so pretty much november through march).

10 minute walk to the station followed by 1h20m train journey and then a 3 minute walk to the office.

2 minutes on a scooter… I do drive a scooter. Of course I am paying 1750/month in rent. I still think it is worth every penny.

akanska Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Had a 1.5 hr commute (each way) when I lived in OC > and worked 45 miles away in LA… and that was > when I left by 6:00 am and stayed at the office > till 7:30ish. Obviously left me drained after a > while. Really investigate the train option before > buying in San Diego. I looked into it and it > really was not pragmatic. Beside the fact that its > cost prohibitive (unless you utilize only 1 metro > system), the hours are too limited for people in > our field. I assume you’d do Amtrak to LA Metro, > and unfortunately Amtrak is just not geared to > commuters; San Diego-LA surfrider is ~$25 > roundtrip w/ 10 pack discount. Add parking, LA > metropass, and an absurd taxi fare/ hotel stay > every time you miss the last train out of Grand > Central (i think it was at ~7:40pm) and then > compare housing costs. > > Now I have a 15 minute commute and LOVE it. California really horrible public transportation. I am looking for another job right now, but it seems most of the AM/IB work is up in LA. That 45-55 miles would be such an awful drive, I would virtually have no free time during the week. As you mentioned, the public transportation to that area is extremely limited in serviced locations along with hours of operation. I’m really growing tired of this state sometimes.

PMwannaB Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 2 minutes on a scooter… I do drive a scooter. > Of course I am paying 1750/month in rent. I still > think it is worth every penny. I, too, drive a scooter. What are you riding, and where are you located? I’ve got a 2005 Yamaha Zuma, and love it. My only problems are parking it downtown (not allowed to park in bike racks here!) and riding in Chicago winters. I takes me 20 minutes in rush hour traffic, or about 45 minutes on the train. I take it from your moniker you are on the buyside - I am trying to make the move from SS equity research over to the buyside right now. How are your hours, and what industry do you cover?