Do you find your career, or does it find you?

Know who you are (your purpose/function in life) --> find an existing place in society where that function is valuable, or create that place if it does not yet exist.

For example I naturally observe/analyze, thus my profession is analyst.

i recently graduated a decently ranked school with intenships in 1)PWM 2)corp fin 3) operations at AM firm

recruiting season i swear my resume was giving people ebola. my gpa is 3.2 but even so, i didn’t anticipate being unable to secure a single interview. a recruiting firm placed me in a fund accounting position at a large AM and i’m very aware of how desperately i need to get out of here but the amount of rejection i’ve faced is reminding me of senior prom and i just don’t know where to look other than home depot.

i hope the start of my career isn’t a harbinger of the dark times to come.

This is what happens in a ‘depression.’ An adjustment needs to be made. Things are not that bad if you can find some work. New industries will eventually flourish and people will get readjusted. IMO, this is also a time to think about what you really want to do especially those that have a lot of free time.

This is imo a very mild ‘depression.’ I wouldn’t even call it a depression. More like a deep recession. Wait till the next crisis, and the ensuing depression. That’s the big one. You aint seen nothing yet.

People also need to realize that finance is also very cyclical. This is really not a good time to enter finance imo.

^ 3.2 is pretty bad for finance out of a non-target school.

Exactly, the industry is shrinking. There will be a time where it will be hot again and 20% of the economy, just not now.

Yea I know it’s not good. At my school a 3.2 is equal to a B+ though, or about an 87% which is probably somewhere inbetween the illiteracy rate and the HIV positive rate of your country; so in that context it sounds quite high.

He is right. A 3.2 isn’t really anything to be proud of. That won’t even get you into Big4 easily these days.

When we interviewing campus grads for our valuation team at big 4, we narrowed it down to 5 people who we invited for in person interviews. All 5 were from schools we recruit from. I think the lowest GPA I saw was like 3.3 and next a 3.5, both of which got cut (couldn’t answer basic finance questions).

I got in with less than 3.0 with no finance classes and 1 accounting class so I suppose anything is possible but I pitched the CFA exams (and the breakdowns) and my year of prior valuation work well.

If worse comes to worse, don’t apply at home depot, apply at a car dealership.

+1

lol funny comeback