Does an MBA hold the same weight anymore?

justin88 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mik82 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > The employment reports of the MBA schools are > very > > tricky. They tell you that the median salary of > > students with a job 3 months after graduation > is > > 100k. However, this doesn’t account the fact > that, > > for example, only 70% of the graduating > students > > got jobs. This means that the median salary is > > really 70K and not 100K. What do you think? > > What do I think? That you have no idea how a > median works. Mean or median in this case doesn’t matter. The point I am making is that the weighted average is more meaningful because not everybody is getting a job upon graduation or 3 months out.

mik82 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Mean or median in this case doesn’t matter. The > point I am making is that the weighted average is > more meaningful because not everybody is getting a > job upon graduation or 3 months out. Maybe it’s more meaningful to you. Both statistics are valid and of course the school is going to emphasize the one that makes them look better.

Danny Boy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Chuckrox8 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Trust me, I know. I was pre-med for three > years > > and almost took the MCAT. I wanted to be an > > surgical ENT and that would have taken > something > > like 8 years beyond med school. > > lol, I’m not disagreeing with your message as a > whole, but this part made me laugh. I think most > admin assistants started out as pre-med - hell, > half of entering college students probably think > they’re pre-med. And you “almost” took the MCAT? > Does that mean you considered signing up for the > exam, which should give weight to your argument? Sure a lot of people start out as pre-med, but not very many actually complete all of the required coursework, shadowing, volunteering, etc… and choose not pursue a career in medicine as I did. I only needed to take the MCAT to get into med school. So to answer your question, I wasn’t one of those people who took a single biology class and claimed I was pre-med. I realized that I wasn’t as interested in medicine as I once thought and was faced with a tough decision. The 40 or so credit hours I accumulated of bio, chem, ochem, genetics, and physics were essentially worthless once switched to finance. Sooo…yeah I was actually very close to going to med school.

So… you only spent 40 hours on science classes?

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So… you only spent 40 hours on science classes? ~45 but who’s counting. I graduated with ~170 hours. Such a waste. btw…make it rain

Training in science is rarely a waste in my opinion (except in extreme circumstances).

Captain Windjammer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Training in science is rarely a waste in my > opinion (except in extreme circumstances). +1

Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sure a lot of people start out as pre-med, but not > very many actually complete all of the required > coursework, shadowing, volunteering, etc… and > choose not pursue a career in medicine as I did. > I only needed to take the MCAT to get into med > school. So to answer your question, I wasn’t one > of those people who took a single biology class > and claimed I was pre-med. I realized that I > wasn’t as interested in medicine as I once thought > and was faced with a tough decision. The 40 or so > credit hours I accumulated of bio, chem, ochem, > genetics, and physics were essentially worthless > once switched to finance. Sooo…yeah I was > actually very close to going to med school. Just busting your balls - reminds me of Holiday Inn Express commercials.

lol we were all once med students were we not? haha

My statistics prof said that now the best quant stuff is taught to biology majors, much more sophisticated than for physics majors