Douchiest job posting of the month

Xsellside, unfortunately, I didn’t get a 1450 on my SAT. However, I just got a ratified contract today to build a rental unit after months of work on securing financing, building contractor contracts, and acquiring useful land at a proper price. I will probably be a hundred thousand dollars richer in 6 months. However, according to this job posting, I’m not intelligent enough to do the bullsh*t work that a real estate analyst does (how do I know? I am one!). Why is it that engineers are never asked for their SAT scores? Is finance somehow more intellectually demanding than architecture, or building bridges, or building nuclear bombs?

XSellSide Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You know, at the end of the day it will be the > person who scored well on the SAT and submitted > his/her scores along with the job application that > will get the job. The people that are standing > around calling the company a bunch of d-bags for > asking for SAT scores will not get the job. > Sometimes you just have to play their silly little > games. You have to admit, it is fun though. That said, I tend not to apply to places that ask for SATs (I’m not sure if I ever took the test - I went straight into the military after HS and college followed the military). I feel that if it is the sort of place that is asking for my SATs scores when I’m 32 years old and having 6 years of Navy experience, my guess is I wouldn’t fit in with the culture.

^^^It is because people in finance are generally bigger d-bags.

Agree with both of you. Sometimes you have to play the games to get the job, but in the specific case of a company asking for SAT scores I too would not even apply. Unless of course I was desperate for a job.

I understand that the SAT thing is douchebaggy, but I don’t see why you wouldn’t apply if you have the scores. I applied to a job that asked for scores, went to interviews and did not get it due to lack of experience. I really wish I had gotten that job because judging by how that fund has done I could have been on my way to retiring very comfortably 5 years into the job. I understand that it’s a dick think to write from a manners standpoint but if schools use SAT scores in decision making and empolyers care about schools why shouldn’t employers use it as well?

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Why is it that engineers are never asked for their > SAT scores? Is finance somehow more intellectually > demanding than architecture, or building bridges, > or building nuclear bombs? If it bothers you so much, go take it again now and destroy it. Finance applicants tend not to filter themselves for job applications. I doubt you have as many ill-equipped people applying to be civil/nuclear engineers. And, luckily, not as many ill-equipped people actually in the field…

justin88 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > kkent Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Why is it that engineers are never asked for > their > > SAT scores? Is finance somehow more > intellectually > > demanding than architecture, or building > bridges, > > or building nuclear bombs? > > If it bothers you so much, go take it again now > and destroy it. > > Finance applicants tend not to filter themselves > for job applications. I doubt you have as many > ill-equipped people applying to be civil/nuclear > engineers. And, luckily, not as many ill-equipped > people actually in the field… Good point on the filter. I hadn’t considered that. But it doesn’t bother me at all. I honestly couldn’t care less about my scores–it’s just one of those things that made me laugh out loud when I saw it, that someone would require a 1450 SAT score to do the innane B.S. that I do every single day. From an insider’s perspective, it’s an absolute joke.

Not to take away from its hilariousness to you, but it is possible that the BS the job requires could be less innane than what you do every single day;)

One has to love a thread dealing with the validity of a standardized test, intelligence, qualifications, etc. with the (non)word “douchiest” in the subject line. This is followed by others contributing d-bag, douchy, douchebaggiest, douchier, and I will add that some may think that some posts were submitted douchily.

LOL, eureka. Actually, based on what I know about real estate hedge funds, I’d say that what I do is much more difficult than what they do. I at least have to know how to book my own flight (I interviewed at a RE PE a few years ago; the guys there–who I actually liked–could barely make their own phone calls).

This may also have to do the with clinet base, or the Partners of the firm. They may simply not want someone from a non-target undergrad simple as that. The clinets or the firm may have bad experiences and not want to hire such people. Look at the criteria: “Top in Analyst program” = If Goldman did not recruit at your school, do not apply. “SAT scores” = You need high SATs to get into a target, if you do not have it do not apply. Finally they just put in plain english “3.5 gpa from esteemed undergrad” = Even if you killed the SATs, got in through non-target doors and killed your analyst program. You still went to a non-target so please do not apply.

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I just got a ratified contract > today to build a rental unit after months of work > on securing financing, building contractor > contracts, and acquiring useful land at a proper > price. I will probably be a hundred thousand > dollars richer in 6 months. However, according to > this job posting, I’m not intelligent enough to do > the bullsh*t work that a real estate analyst does > (how do I know? I am one!). > > Congratulations! You are truly one-of-a-kind. You seem to be moving from one success to another at light speed. Do you still work for the government ? As for the SAT, like XellSide said, given two individuals with everything the same, I would rather work with the one who scored higher on bla bla… (Pick any test and not just the SAT). If you were too stupid at 18 to realize how important the SAT is, that’s your problem.

im in agreement with my boy kkent. SAT from 10 years ago has no bearing whatsoever on a tangible skillset in the workplace. End this awful discussion. GMAT/LSAT would be a better proxy but still think it’s douchebaggery to place the score on the resume.

Everyone crying probably had awful scores. I was told by someone working at JPMorgan as an investment banker, that when he applied to all the top banks he was asked for SAT scores as well. That being said, GMAT/LSAT are definitely better indicators.

“I’m making 300 on my SAT’s and I am equal” -Outkast

“I scored a 1490 on my SAT’s and went to an Ivy League, I am equal as kkent” -Convertarb

I once saw a listing for a position similar to mine at my exact firm (we were on a hiring spree) posted on glocap. Needless to say I wouldn’t have been qualified to do my own job according to glocap’s requirements.

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So apparently, Glocap sends out updates via email > every so often with available jobs (usually 1 or 2 > per month). This might be the douchiest one I’ve > seen in a while (hey, if you’re qualified, send > in). Notice that someone as old as 28 will have to > submit (and have minimum) SAT scores (yes, > 10-11-year-old high school scores). Friends, I > work in real estate–this is NOT rocket > science… > > > > “Real Estate Analyst for California Hedge Fund. > > The group is characterized by its entrepreneurial > culture, lean deal teams, flat structure, and > unconstrained advancement based upon merit. > > Job Description: > > The team is seeking to hire a Real Estate Analyst > for its California offices. The ideal candidate(s) > should possess 3-6 years of total investment > banking experience. Outstanding non-real estate > Analysts will also be considered provided an > interest in real estate investing has been > demonstrated through past experience. > > Candidate Requirements: > > Qualifications > Background: > - Minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.5 at a > highly-esteemed college/university > - 3-6 years of total investment banking > experience; outstanding non-real estate Analysts > will also be considered > - Top-tier performance ranking in Analyst program > - Math SAT >750, Verbal SAT >700 > > Personal: > - Demonstrated leadership in extracurricular > activities > - Collegial attitude, outstanding personal drive, > and exceptional work ethic > > Compensation will be competitive, consisting of a > base salary and bonus component, and will be > commensurate with experience. Relocation expenses, > if applicable, will be covered by the firm.” If I didn’t know you had a crappy GPA and possibly crappy SAT scores, I would have taken your post seriously. However, using this board to seek excuses for your academic deficiencies is plain stupid. May be if your post was in the lines of “This job needs SAT scores, which I scored poorly, and since I was partying like an animal in the state school I went, I never managed a GPA worth talking about. However, I have since been able to make up for this through consistent experience and performance in similar positions, as evidenced by …How do I convince the employer to give me a chance?”. I am pretty sure bchadwick would have given you a strategy. You will only get symphathy from other low self esteem clowns with a similar history like yours. Happy new year by the way.

^ I love JOE2010, lol.