Economist: Ship of Fools

PeteyPete Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > House Democrats Contemplate Abolishing 401(k) Tax > Breaks > > http://www.workforce.com/section/00/article/25/83/ > 58.php What?! thats insane, I live in Canada and no political party would have the balls/stupidity to ever make RRSP contributions not tax deductible.

“Oh, I agree. If she wants to be any kind of force in the future, she definitely has to get better educated on policy, international affairs, etc.” Add geography & names of newspapers/magzines she reads to that list as well… “No matter who was VP, McCain had very little shot.” I think you drastically underestimate the number of people she scared away. She is almost certainly the single most ignorant person to ever run in a national election & everyone who took an objective look at her knows it. A few fiscal conservatives I know, who ordinarilly would never vote for a democrat, were absolutely terrified of her becoming president.

mh7 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “Oh, I agree. If she wants to be any kind of force > in the future, she definitely has to get better > educated on policy, international affairs, etc.” > > Add geography & names of newspapers/magzines she > reads to that list as well… > > “No matter who was VP, McCain had very little > shot.” > > I think you drastically underestimate the number > of people she scared away. She is almost > certainly the single most ignorant person to ever > run in a national election & everyone who took an > objective look at her knows it. A few fiscal > conservatives I know, who ordinarilly would never > vote for a democrat, were absolutely terrified of > her becoming president. No doubt, I woudnt even want her as a public elementary school teacher.

Jimmy Carter was one of the most qualified and “smartest” presidents we’ve had in recent history. Look where that got us.

So a smart guy couldn’t get the job done, so we vote for an idiot? Where’s the logic in that?

Didn’t people call Reagan an idiot?

Claiming to want to keep American jobs at home while supporting labor unions, buying in to the global warming hysetria, and raising taxes on corporations is idiotic. Stupid is as stupid does.

Nah, smart people do stupid things all the time. Just hopefully less often.

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Didn’t people call Reagan an idiot? you’re seeing the results of reaganomics now. he was an idiot after all.

We’re blaming Ronald Reagan for the economic troubles now?! It’s 20 years later…

the legacy of ronald reagan: spend, spend, spend, cut taxes, cut taxes, consume, consume, don’t invest, zero savings, massive national deficits and debt, huge income inequality. what in geebers is good about all this poppycock? the economic policies he started and bush took over and followed like the gospel have brought ruin to the US.

reagan said: there is nothing better than the outside of a horse for the inside of a man. true quote.

rohufish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > the legacy of ronald reagan: > > spend, spend, spend, cut taxes, cut taxes, > consume, consume, don’t invest, zero savings, > massive national deficits and debt, huge income > inequality. > > what in geebers is good about all this poppycock? > > the economic policies he started and bush took > over and followed like the gospel have brought > ruin to the US. i totally disagree with you. Reagan liteally created the reality (not the concept) of the american dream as we have come to know it the last 25 years or so. he was th emost inspirational american figure to come along in decades. r’fish you got it wrong buddy.

How absurd are some of these comments. The last quarter century, under both Democrats and Republicans, has been among America’s most prosperous and peaceful in its history. Human beings are notorious for their short memories and lack of historical knowledge. Do you have any idea how many depressions and/or severe recessions this nation has suffered through? Economic bubbles happen every few years in various sectors, and big blow ups happen every few decades. It’s the nature of a capitalist society. Blaming Ronald Reagan for the 2008 financial collapse? Do you also credit him for the last quarter century’s relative peace and prosperity? Were the 70s really that much better than, say, 1981 to 2008? Wasn’t there a huge financial collapse in the 1960s? Haven’t the American auto manufacturers already been bailed out once before? Would you like to return to the economic eras of the Great Depression or the 1920s? How about the era of industrialization in the late 1800s? Or Reconstruction? Or agrarianism? God in Heaven! Could we please have some context?

here, i can give you a nice speech and ‘leadership’. and dreams - oh boy, have i got some dreams to sell you. the american dream you’re speaking of has been built on debt - lots and lots of it. re-read the legacy i described - tell me what you disagree with. don’t sell me “leadership” “dreams” mumbo jumbo - i am a meat and potatoes guy. show me cold hard cash. reagan was a actor who knew jack crap about economics. open your eyes, and stop being in love with a economically illiterate man.

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How absurd are some of these comments. The last > quarter century, under both Democrats and > Republicans, has been among America’s most > prosperous and peaceful in its history. Human > beings are notorious for their short memories and > lack of historical knowledge. Do you have any idea > how many depressions and/or severe recessions this > nation has suffered through? Economic bubbles > happen every few years in various sectors, and big > blow ups happen every few decades. It’s the nature > of a capitalist society. Blaming Ronald Reagan for > the 2008 financial collapse? Do you also credit > him for the last quarter century’s relative peace > and prosperity? > > Were the 70s really that much better than, say, > 1981 to 2008? Wasn’t there a huge financial > collapse in the 1960s? Haven’t the American auto > manufacturers already been bailed out once before? > Would you like to return to the economic eras of > the Great Depression or the 1920s? How about the > era of industrialization in the late 1800s? Or > Reconstruction? Or agrarianism? God in Heaven! > Could we please have some context? how old are you kkent, and how many have you lived through? i have seen 4. you?

LOL! You think Reagan–and only Reagan–has the legacy of debt and deficits? Are you kidding me? What about FDR, whom enacted soical security and medicare? That’s a $100 trillion unfunded liability! What about Lyndon Johnson’s Great Society that has spent trillions of dollars fighting poverty to absolutely no avail? What about the FACT that FDR started Fannie Mae? Freddie Mac was a child of 1970 to compete with Fannie Mae. These GSEs are debt machines! What president since the 1930s hasn’t been responsible for a culture of debt? Even Bill Clinton, if not for guys like Gingrich shutting down the gov’t and trying to pass continuing resolutions, may very well have fallen prey to deficit spending. Your allegations against Ronald Reagan are absurd on their face given, umm, facts and context.

Congratulations. You’ve seen 4 and apparently don’t remember any of them. In fact, the fact that you have lived through 4 discredits the foundation of your argument.

i never said anything about “only reagan”. but reagan is accountable for the start of the current chickens coming home to roost. bush just walked down the path laid out by reaganomics. look, i have an independent mind, and i don’t have holy cows i worship permanently. yes, reagan’s legacy needs to be questioned big time. he may be your hero, but his brand of economics started this whole slide downwards - think with your brain, and don’t deify him. i will repeat my key words. tell me what you think is not a defining characteristic of reaganomics. but worshipping a past president like a deity is stupid. analyse him. > spend, spend, spend, cut taxes, cut taxes, > consume, consume, don’t invest, zero savings, > massive national deficits and debt, huge income > inequality.

rohufish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > the legacy of ronald reagan: > > spend, spend, spend, cut taxes, cut taxes, > consume, consume, don’t invest, zero savings, > massive national deficits and debt, huge income > inequality. > > what in geebers is good about all this poppycock? > > the economic policies he started and bush took > over and followed like the gospel have brought > ruin to the US. I don’t really want to agree with this, because the implications of this viewpoint are too unpleasant to contemplate… but I can’t really see a flaw in the logic. The 1970s… well, partly that was the oil crisis, and partly that was because we couldn’t have the Great Society and the Vietnam War at the same time. The 1930s… well, that was a boom-and-bust cycle that has eerie similarities with recent times. 1981… that was oil again and a conscious decision to raise interest rates. We had a fine boom in the 1960s with 90% taxes on the wealthiest classes.