Education system and tracking

As the conversation turns into a question of nature vs nurture, i think it would be important to discuss, and define, what intelligence actually is. Is it simply a matter of a standardized test, is intelligence the ability to adapt and persevere in today’s environoment, which intelligence is more important - standard or emotional? To me, intelligence cannot be measured by IQ because so many other factors come into play that can negate the true potential of that individual. Consider a person with a high IQ but lacks emotional intelligence, this person more likely than not will be doomed bc of their inability to interact or understand human nature.

Furthermore, the concept of innate intelligence is not a matter of discussion per this article. Instead, it’s a matter of wealth building - these are not always correlated (i’m a living example). In any event, i think a universal definition of intelligence should be prefaced before continuing any debate.

IQ (and standardized test performance) is highly correlated with academic achievement. That’s why colleges weigh those scores pretty highly. Since the original post regarded AP/gifted participation, it makes sense to focus on IQ, which is more highly correlated with academic success than EQ (which is important to commercial success).

Obvioulsy IQ is not the only important factor, but is it correlated with EQ and other factors? My guess is that there may be some positive correlation. If it isn’t negatively correlated, though, then we can assume that, at a minimum, a group of higher IQ people will outperform a group of lower IQ people.

Oh, sounds good, based on your guess. For all you know they are negatively correlated.

Also, as should be obvious, there is a lot more to a person than their IQ or EQ. The most important characteristic for economic success in my opinion is simple: hustle. The people who work hard generally see rewards.

Wait, so we are arguing about whether IQ and “EQ” are positively correlated with success?

I prefer to work smart. Gives me a lot more free time and pays better. I really am a pretty lazy piece of shit, but, fortunately, i have the horsepower to get away with it. If i didn’t, I’m sure i would work a lot harder/longer hours. I do have an overwhelming drive to be self sufficient.

Both iq and eq are strongly correllated with success. Aren’t they? Never seen literature to the contrary.

Yes, it’s just a guess (as I clearly said). Of course, your comment that I quoted was pretty much predicated on a negative correlation since no correlation or a positive correlation would render your entire point meaningless. If EQ were more important than IQ to success, then a high IQ group could only be equally or less successful overall than a low IQ group if the low IQ group’s EQ were higher than the high IQ group’s. Hence my question whether or not the two factors are negatively correlated.

My guess of some positive correlation is based primarily on experience. More intelligent people tend to be more “aware” overall, so it would surprise me if they were somehow less capable of analyzing other people’s emotions and drawing conclusions/tactics on how to act and react accordingly.

I think success is driven by height. Short people are intimidated by tall people so tall people develop followers.

Yes, short people should have accommodations made for them. Maybe a cash payment on their 25th birthday. 50k for every inch below the median. And what about tall guys with below average endowment? And women that resemble a desk top as opposed to the Alps?