Engineering to Finance

breaking into the world of high finance is a challenge but acheiveable to the driven.

THIS!!

I’m refurbing my place and plumbers have it good! But a tiler, now they can rake in £400 a day easy if you’re good. People round my way are charging £50 to lay a meter without any materials added on…

my last plumber charged $200 per hour. weekend call increases that to $300.

normal work is around $150 per hour.

Trash pickup is also heating up.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/24/news/economy/trash-workers-high-pay/index.html?iid=hp-stack-dom

Best is you get a couple apprentices working for you, pay them $25 an hour and bill at $300 an hour for offhours emergency call outs. Make $1,000 a night while you sleep. I know a few guys in plumbing and electrical that run staffs of 10ish apprentices and a couple journeymen. I’m sure they could make a million a year. And the journeymen supervise most work so they can hit the golf course all summer no problem.

That’s not even a licensed trade! Rates aren’t that high here, but I do my own tile work as the cost is still higher than my marginal rate as a corporate finance manager.

It is do able. I know someone who graduated with industrial engineering and is now working with derivatives. You’re 22. If engineering isn’t your thing, try finance, just keep in mind, jobs are really competitive in this industry. In my opinion, if you get a CFA designation, having a STEM degree under your belt will set you apart from other entry level candidates like me.

Why do Engineer people want to do Finance? Stay in your field…don’t compete with us. The competition is already pretty intense.

I blame media, and movies. Newspapers keep talking about fat cats and greedy finance guys making tons of money while the avg person gets screwed etc. So naturally, people think “well gee I want to be the greedy fat cat”. Then the next thought is, “hm.now what degree or test can I pass to break in. Oh look CFA.”

correct. an egineering degree will get you more interviews in finance than most other degrees. Engineers are always in demand in finance - its the way the approach problem solving. BUT an engineering degree will be useless for sales or marketing

Lol…