Enjoy your job?

I love about 90% of it, but the other 10% is so bad that it’s driving me nuts. Luckily I am only here till the end of the month, then its sweet freedom.

anyone else noticing a pattern where its interesting in the beginning due to the simple fact that you don’t know what you are doing and need to learn/ develop skills, etc. Then, a year later once you’ve mastered it, it gets mundane really quickly?? Maybe its because my roles so far have involved repetitive monkey work, but I really hope I eventually find something rewarding in the long term.

Most jobs involve repetitive monkey work, especially in the financial services industry. I was talking to my boss the other day – top 2 MBA / CFA / 20 years of experience / Director of Research. He feels that even his job is fairly mundane and involves a lot of monkey work. Go figure.

CFA L1 didn’t do squat for me.

Turkish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- >Who wouldn’t want > to be a double agent, James Bond gets a ton of > chicks. Actually, despite the glamour stories, spies need to be relatively inconspicuous. Be too much of a head-turner, and too many eyes start watching you when you don’t want them to.

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Most jobs involve repetitive monkey work, > especially in the financial services industry. I > was talking to my boss the other day – top 2 MBA > / CFA / 20 years of experience / Director of > Research. He feels that even his job is fairly > mundane and involves a lot of monkey work. Go > figure. Thats why I always wonder about the consulting industry- seems like you may get a little variety working on different projects and such.

i like my job but would like to be a stay-at-home dad in the future. that means that once i have kids, i am going to stay at home (though working from home is also acceptable if the time commitment is insubstantial). now to find a wife who’ll support me…

Turkish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yes. As for “could not picture yourself doing > anything else.” > > I would much rather be in the NBA or a F1 > driver…sitting behind a desk is ok, but come > on…not doing anything else? Who wouldn’t want > to be a double agent, James Bond gets a ton of > chicks. I’d settle for being The Dark Knight. Superhero with lots of money!~

i love my job, even with the market tanking and clients bitching left and right.

XSellSide Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > No. Job is getting mundane, some of the people I > work with leave a lot to be desired. I hear you! I generally like the work, but it is a REALLY DULL office…

I like the job enough, but I really want to leave California and move to Russia ASAP. Enough of the easy life and linear career path.

hey danteshek i’ll take your job… lol

I like my job but I also like travel…so some people wouldnt like the 50% travel to South America…

kevinf12 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I like my job but I also like travel…so some > people wouldnt like the 50% travel to South > America… that sounds like my dream job… I’ve heard you talk about it before… EM- LatAm focus. Makes me drool. If you ever need a fluent spanish speaker who has lived in DF, BsAs, and Medellin w/ a BA in LatAm history and politics and (hopefully) CFA level 2, let me know :slight_smile:

Love the work although it can get slow. And I feel like my boss despises me, but I think he’s just a big nerd (he’s a BMath & a CA) so that makes sense.

Corporate finance work is pretty dull to me. Too focused on day to day operations which really just amounts to running and creating reports and helping put out fires all day. All the interesting analytical and strategy work is hoarded by senior people who are reluctant to let me junior people partake. I feel it’s because they fear being shown up. Not a meritocracy at all. I’m trying to bail out to grad school asap and make the transition to financial services where I’m hoping to land a gig thats primarily big picture focused, in a revenue generating group, as opposed to being overhead. If finance and financial skillset is not not at the heart of the organization (technically at least) then it’s probably not for me.

I think corp fin is generally not something I would like, but I have gotten luckily to be in a decent position much earlier than I expected and that I quite enjoy. So now I plan to stay until I am bored and then possible move to consulting or TS. But I think I would get bored with anything over time… But I hope to stay for us to go public…

I love my new gig, couldn’t really stand the old place. Willy