Entitlement Programs

murders&executions Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Friedman said it best. > > “What you should do, in my opinion, is to give > every person who now has a claim on Social > Security bonds equal to the value of his claim, > and set him free. Let him save. Let him do what he > wants with it. That would not add a dollar to the > debt we now have; it would just convert an > unfunded debt into a funded debt,” Friedman said. > > Van Fossan asked, “If you did that, how would you > protect people from making really stupid > decisions?” > > “I don’t!” Friedman replied. “Why should I?” a > response that drew laughter from the group. “You > mean freedom does not include the freedom to make > a stupid decision?” Friedman is a God!

There is a bit of misunderstanding about the term “entitlement” programs. It’s a poor choice of words because generally speaking entitlement has a pejorative meaning (ie “sense of entitlement”). It developed in the political arena as coming from the legal sense of the world, which carries the meaning of a “privilege granted”. My hopes that people will understand this nuance are not high.

AF needs a “Like” button. I’d use it for NakedPuts’ comment, above.