Executive vs General MBA- which is better

I have about 5 years of work experience. I am planning to do an MBA. I would like to know how valuable an Executive MBA would be as compared to a general MBA. Would it be to possible to make a career change into a leading i-bank, mutual fund through an executive MBA. Also what kind of work experience would be required to join an executive MBA course.

As far as I know, an EMBA is for people with more experience, and it tends to cost more (2-3x tuition of a normal MBA), often times schools will have dual EMBAs (in 18 months, you can get 2 EMBAs from 2 different schools…which in my view tends to dilute the degree somewhat) and its generally meant for people already in a management role rather then career-changers.

John09 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have about 5 years of work experience. I am > planning to do an MBA. I would like to know how > valuable an Executive MBA would be as compared to > a general MBA. > > Would it be to possible to make a career change > into a leading i-bank, mutual fund through an > executive MBA. Also what kind of work experience > would be required to join an executive MBA course. I think a top, full-time MBA is your best bet for this. If you can’t do that because of your lifestyle (I can’t), a PT MBA and networking like an ugly hooker is your best bet.

From what you have shared, you are better off applying to a regular fulltime MBA. Executive MBA is targeted at seasoned professionals looking for a credential and network more than anything else.

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > John09 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I have about 5 years of work experience. I am > > planning to do an MBA. I would like to know how > > valuable an Executive MBA would be as compared > to > > a general MBA. > > > > Would it be to possible to make a career change > > into a leading i-bank, mutual fund through an > > executive MBA. Also what kind of work > experience > > would be required to join an executive MBA > course. > > > I think a top, full-time MBA is your best bet for > this. If you can’t do that because of your > lifestyle (I can’t), a PT MBA and networking like > an ugly hooker is your best bet. Thanks. On going through the placement record i too got a feeling, that an executive mba would not help in making a career change. Also would a full time mba be a sure shot for career change?

John09 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jcole21 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > John09 Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > I have about 5 years of work experience. I am > > > planning to do an MBA. I would like to know > how > > > valuable an Executive MBA would be as > compared > > to > > > a general MBA. > > > > > > Would it be to possible to make a career > change > > > into a leading i-bank, mutual fund through an > > > executive MBA. Also what kind of work > > experience > > > would be required to join an executive MBA > > course. > > > > > > I think a top, full-time MBA is your best bet > for > > this. If you can’t do that because of your > > lifestyle (I can’t), a PT MBA and networking > like > > an ugly hooker is your best bet. > > > Thanks. On going through the placement record i > too got a feeling, that an executive mba would not > help in making a career change. Also would a full > time mba be a sure shot for career change? I don’t think anything is a sure shot in getting into IB/asset management, but from what I’ve gathered a full-time MBA (while networking like crazy out of the gate to get a good internship) is your best bet, outside of actual experience (which is difficult to get without the network you get by going MBA). An EMBA definitely isn’t the way to go, fulltime MBA at a good program is, followed by PT at a good program and still networking like crazy in the area, in and outside of the program. For me, I’ve tried the PT/networking route (although in an MS in finance). The PT MBA (or EMBA if I wait 10-15 yeas) will be the next step five. If you want to go hedge funds or asset management, you might go into a quant finance type role (not a regular MS in finance) - all just my opinion from somebody trying to do the same and having made some progress (getting opportunities to break in now) through networking and education.

>quant finance type role (not a regular MS in finance) note sure what you mean by “not a regular MS in finance”…isnt an MS in finance designed for quant roles ?

CFAMaven Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > >quant finance type role (not a regular MS in > finance) > > note sure what you mean by “not a regular MS in > finance”…isnt an MS in finance designed for > quant roles ? Yeah - but there are MS in Quantitative Finance that have a much heavier concentration on the quant stuff, as opposed to a generic MS Finance which is more broadly on general investment fundamentals (I just completed a general MS in Finance this year personally - so again, just my perspective - there are no Quant Finance programs in my area nor was I really aware of them when I started two years ago).

I think he is talking about master in financial engineering, and I think they have these programs in berkeley, chicago and stern. You have to have a sound math background to be able to enter these programs and they are quite competitive. Of course IBs are the main emloyers of MFEs, not really HF.

Valores Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think he is talking about master in financial > engineering, and I think they have these programs > in berkeley, chicago and stern. You have to have a > sound math background to be able to enter these > programs and they are quite competitive. Of course > IBs are the main emloyers of MFEs, not really HF. There are a number of names for these similar programs - Masters in Quantitative Finance, Masters in Financial Mathematics, etc… Why would Investment Bankers need these technical skills? I thought they were typically on prop desks and in technical analyst roles - you don’t really need to understand stochastic calculus to write a pitch book.

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > John09 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > jcole21 Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > John09 Wrote: > > > > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > > > > ----- > > > > I have about 5 years of work experience. I > am > > > > planning to do an MBA. I would like to know > > how > > > > valuable an Executive MBA would be as > > compared > > > to > > > > a general MBA. > > > > > > > > Would it be to possible to make a career > > change > > > > into a leading i-bank, mutual fund through > an > > > > executive MBA. Also what kind of work > > > experience > > > > would be required to join an executive MBA > > > course. > > > > > > > > > I think a top, full-time MBA is your best bet > > for > > > this. If you can’t do that because of your > > > lifestyle (I can’t), a PT MBA and networking > > like > > > an ugly hooker is your best bet. > > > > > > Thanks. On going through the placement record i > > too got a feeling, that an executive mba would > not > > help in making a career change. Also would a > full > > time mba be a sure shot for career change? > > I don’t think anything is a sure shot in getting > into IB/asset management, but from what I’ve > gathered a full-time MBA (while networking like > crazy out of the gate to get a good internship) is > your best bet, outside of actual experience (which > is difficult to get without the network you get by > going MBA). > > An EMBA definitely isn’t the way to go, fulltime > MBA at a good program is, followed by PT at a good > program and still networking like crazy in the > area, in and outside of the program. For me, I’ve > tried the PT/networking route (although in an MS > in finance). The PT MBA (or EMBA if I wait 10-15 > yeas) will be the next step five. > > If you want to go hedge funds or asset management, > you might go into a quant finance type role (not a > regular MS in finance) - all just my opinion from > somebody trying to do the same and having made > some progress (getting opportunities to break in > now) through networking and education. Thanks a lot for the inputs. I do have solid work experience , but the main problem is that is the mostly in the back and little of middle office and nil front office work. So in this case would an 2 year MBA be one of the best ways to break into Ibanking/ asset mgmt. “For me, I’ve > tried the PT/networking route (although in an MS > in finance). The PT MBA (or EMBA if I wait 10-15 > yeas) will be the next step five”. Could you please clarify further on this. Has the PT/networking route helped you break into Ibank/ asset mgmt. Or are you confident that it would help you in future.

Yes, there are plenty of quant positions in IB, at least in sales and trading. Traders are pretty much quants, phd in math is quite a common degree

John, I wouldn’t count on MBA, especially if we are not talking about top programs. There are plenty of top european MBAs in the BO of my bank and still happy. But MBA gives you a chance, you are at least considered for front roles, while to change within a bank is almost an impossible mission. Sorry for typos, blackberry is not too very convenient for typing.

John09 Wrote: > So in this case would an 2 year MBA be one of the > best ways to break into Ibanking/ asset mgmt. > > > “For me, I’ve > > tried the PT/networking route (although in an > MS > > in finance). The PT MBA (or EMBA if I wait > 10-15 > > yeas) will be the next step five”. > > > Could you please clarify further on this. Has the > PT/networking route helped you break into Ibank/ > asset mgmt. Or are you confident that it would > help you in future. I would agree with Valores that you can’t bank on the MBA to get you there, but it would help (especially if it’s locally respected and has a strong alum network). My MSF has helped me just get a better understanding of finance/valuations and prepare for the CFA exams (LII next Saturday), as well as network somewhat with classmates (although my program has mostly younger, entry-level finance professionals). Also, it’s a good selling point for continued motivation and ability to multi-task/have high performance with high workloads. In the last several months I’ve had multiple interviews going into the latter stages (within the IB side, as an equity research associate, within asset management as an entry-level analyst). If I were to do it again I’d do a PT MBA (we have a top 50 program in my area with good alumni network) and the CFA exams, in addition to leveraging your current role for opportunities to meet with people doing what you want to do to getting some face time to gain their advice on steps to undertake and become acquainted with them. Several of my interviews (particularly recently) likely wouldn’t have occurred without the folks I know on the hiring side. It’s still a tough market and there is fierce competition, but it at least gets you a shot and as we work through the glut of laid off financiers and recent grads, you’re well positioned to jump in and hit the ground running (I’m waiting to hear back on a few that I was in the final rounds, but know I’m up against a lot of experience so anything I can do now to help I have tried to). I think Valores is right, CFA, MBA, networking, experence - there’s no magic bullet and you should do everything you can to sell yourself when you’re sitting across the desk from the people making hiring decisions (and if you know them from a lunch, coffee, or whatever, that helps too - at least for me it has).

It seems that what general public does not understand is that these jobs are quite elitist. Just a degree, title or networking will not help. Example: I noticed here that the in average ppl here are much more handsome than ppl in the street, many are from quite wealthy families. Most speak 3 languages, even in IT, and studied abroad, or had decent international work experience. Guys in my team have quant.finance and top consulting firms background. We do more or less internal consulting. I mean these guys have the choice, and they choose the best of what they can get. It’s not just a magic degree like CFA or MBA, a lot is about your uniqueness, personality, and soft skills. I don’t think master of science in finance or PT MBA are of any value. I would say, top MBA can serve to at least get your foot here. But top mBAs somehow go to bigger names with bigger pays.

Sorry for mistakes, difficult to type on blacberry, I should switch to I phone.

Valores Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It seems that what general public does not > understand is that these jobs are quite elitist. > Just a degree, title or networking will not help. > Example: I noticed here that the in average ppl > here are much more handsome than ppl in the > street, many are from quite wealthy families. Most > speak 3 languages, even in IT, and studied abroad, > or had decent international work experience. > Guys in my team have quant.finance and top > consulting firms background. We do more or less > internal consulting. > I mean these guys have the choice, and they choose > the best of what they can get. It’s not just a > magic degree like CFA or MBA, a lot is about your > uniqueness, personality, and soft skills. > I don’t think master of science in finance or PT > MBA are of any value. I would say, top MBA can > serve to at least get your foot here. But top mBAs > somehow go to bigger names with bigger pays. I disagree - I think people DO know how elitist these positions are. Your uniqueness, personality, and soft-skills if you don’t mean anything have the connections and/or pedigree of an elite university or internship/track-record to get in the door for an interview. I didn’t mean to imply he’ll get into Goldman with a PT MBA from a top 50 or even 25 school - I meant you can get in somewhere (non-BB) through networking, hard-work, and even a PT MBA and/or CFA studies. It’s not easy to even get into the smaller firms with these credentials/networks (again, not talking BB firms), but it’s impossible to get into them by doing nothing. Si on the iphone.

I meant soft skills and presentation skills is a must on top of the degrees, pedigrees,etc. If you are just cute go modelling :slight_smile: