FAILED 3x and not giving up. Here's my story, PLEASE ADVISE!!!!

And you said material is brand new? You’re econ major, you should know all these by heart. They have investment classes that cover bonds, accounting, micro/macro econ, and whatnot. So its a lie that you said these are brand new materials for you. And i dont think u know what your getting yourself into. Wanting to get into investment is like saying you want to get big.

ancientmtk - it almost feels like slap in my face… my heart felt so heavy after I read ur comment…. But I do admit that I didn’t spend as much time as I should in college and in previous CFA exams…. I appreciated your comment… im not thinking to get “big” rather I wanna accomplish something….

Hi TamiYokey, I have not taken the exam yet, so my input isn’t on specifics. However, you may want to reflect more on your motivations for taking the exam. Without the right kind of motivation, you may actually be fighting with yourself on this. You mentioned that your dad suggested the CFA. You also made several negative statements about your degree and future. Maybe this stuff isn’t clicking because it just isn’t in you. You have an econ degree and you did poorly on both posted exam scores. Maybe you should try law school or even art school. Something that resonates with you. Then come back to the CFA if/when it actually makes sense for YOU.

Im sorry to hear you didnt pass, especially given the third attempt. I can relate as I just took the thing for the 3rd time and FORTUNATELY passed it. By the way, Im 42 so how is that for perserverence? There is a lot of advice being given and the majority of it very good, so definitely pay attention to it. I personally think that given you are most likely in your early 20’s, you have a long way to go in your career. So the MBA, Finance classes may be a good route to take. But if the CFA is something you truly want, then go after it no matter what it takes. Once you earn the charter, they dont ask how long it took you to get it, people only know you have it. For me, I started defining success with this level as having the option to move to the next level. It also became personal for me in that the CFA Institute said I do not have a choice to take LII, which pissed me off. So take it from someone who has been there and done that, you can get through it if you truly want it. I wish you nothing but the best

Wow ancient you are pretty harsh considering you went to UC Irvine yourself. Bashing someone’s degree is uncalled for. If you want to put it like that, honestly, to me a degree from UC Irvine in general is pretty worthless. You get outside of California, and people are like Irvine? Wheres that?

I know it is harsh, but trust me, theres a lot of idiots that goes to UCI. I’m not criticizing her for being one, but there are plenty of losers who just waste away 5, or even 6 years doing jack. Alot of people i know graduate and work for starbucks because they dont’ have any skill or mindset. Heck, alot of them even believe that they can make 6 figs right out of college. They have no sense of the reality. And you’re right. People, esp finance, are not gonna smile upon my UCI degree. So I know what im worth. Hence i am setting myself to increase my value, by either taking CFA and/or applying to a more prestigious grad school. Its not that i am trying to be harsh to her, but I can’t stand people who are either oblivious/naive and don’t try. Its the mentality that matters. My brother called me a dumbass, heck, even my mom called me a disappointment because I was screwing around in my senior year even tho I got a decent GPA and a job offer. I took this to heart and started thinking seriously about my future.

Edison didn’t “fail” 10,000 times before he invented the light bulb. He experimented with a gajillion different filaments because he had the right idea and didn’t know what the right material for a filament was. He had an approach that he knew would work, he implemented it, and succeeded in inventing the light bulb. Doesn’t sound like failure to me. edit: And of course, Edison didn’t really invent the light bulb. There were at least 20 working light bulbs demonstrated before Edison - some as much as 50 years before his bulb.

point is…don’t give up. If at first you don’t succeed…etc.

Sometimes you have to recognise a bad investment and just cut your losses. That skill is just as important as the ability to persevere against continuous failures. Goodluck with whatever avenue you choose.

TamiYokey you didn’t failed any yet as long as you didn’t give up.

I think it is no harm to remain in the BO for probably 2 more Q, pass your CFA and see if you can move on, though in the meantime you can try sending in resumes! I just graduated from a SIngapore university last Dec and I just cleared L1, but there is a possibility that I’d start off at ops at a BB and then move on after 1-1.5 years. Fremantle, what you said is exactly what I felt before! That I am a terrible investor who is plonking in more and more $$ into a loss-making portfolio instead of takign a stop loss order. I really mentionedd that to a professor of mine some 2 mmonth back as I was feeling rather depressed. I don’t deny that there are times when you finally reach your destination you can’t help but look back, and you start asking, was it really worth all that trouble,sweat and tears to get to where you are now? It does not help when you see people reaching their destinations earlier than you as they took the highway. Does not feel good when you see person A getting an A when they do not study and you get the A only after studying for 3mths. it sucks! u might be better off doing something that puts you in the same situation as person A-0/minimal effort, but significantly +ve abnormal returns.

I dunno man, I dunno. Just keep in mind that Level II is at least twice as hard IMO and is only offered once a year. I’m really struggling not be negative here, but if you were one of my friends I’d advise you to step back and really think about what you want to do and why you want to do those things with your life. Sometimes when I struggle with things I find that I can’t even remember anymore why I really wanted to do them in the first place. After three tries, this appears more to be a case of motivation than aptitude.

wow, way to coddle the guy. 1. Improve your english. If you can’t communicate, you will have a very tough time working in FO BB. 2. Just b/c you’re not going to give up doesn’t mean you’ll pass the next time. Confusing continually trying with eventual success is silly.

I know someone who took 4 tries on the LSAT but now makes six figures as a corporate lawyer. Go figure.

Is there an official transcript that they send out showing your results (pass/fail) and the results (pass/fail) of your previous attempts?

Did you score 70%+ in the Schweser exams? If you did, it is hard to imagine you fail this thing.

My only advice is that you should think of CFA exams like a game. 50% is strategy. Of course, if you really want to do well, you should practically know/study/understand EVERYTHING. This is the best way to secure success at L2 and L3. 1. Study EVERY day 2. Do A LOT of Q 3. Have confidence 4. Spend most of your time on your weak areas 5. Manage your time, and 6. Manage your time again. 7. And more specifically, focus on FSA.

ratul Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > wow, way to coddle the guy. > > 1. Improve your english. If you can’t communicate, > you will have a very tough time working in FO BB. > > 2. Just b/c you’re not going to give up doesn’t > mean you’ll pass the next time. Confusing > continually trying with eventual success is silly. yeah, i have to agree with this. i realize that a lot of posters on AF are here to offer support and encouragement (which is good), but at some point you have to start acknowledging reality, otherwise you’re not going to make any progress. if you cant pass L1 in 3 tries, two things are wrong. first, your’re not studying enough, which by the third try is indefensible…almost inconceivable. in the last 2 exams you didnt even get a single category > 70%. if there was ever evidence that you’re not taking the exam seriously, this is it. second (now the harsh news), you need to step back for a sec and honestly think about whether investments is your thing. i wish you the best of luck with this stuff, but you should seriously consider whether it’s time to move on and focus your efforts elsewhere. there is no shame in it, the investment biz simply isnt for everyone.

alix12 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > TamiYokey you didn’t failed any yet as long as you > didn’t give up. Actually, I’m pretty sure the results clearly stated fail.

For what it’s worth, I have this little reminder on my desk at work, desk at home, and with my CFA materials when I study: “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan “press on” has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race” -Calvin Coolidge