Failing Level 1

Some may quibble with this method, but you can try the 40/60/80 method which means you apply a 40% to a topic you scored below 50% in; 60% for the 51-70 score range and an 80% for the greater than 70% range.

Going off what you posted, your approximate score was 62.3%. It’s been estimated in the past that the Minimum Passing Score has been between 64% and 68%.

If you scored in the 51-70 range on Econ and Fixed Income, your *estimated* score would be 66.7% which is probably right on the edge of passing and failing.

Just my two cents, but Fixed Income is probably one of the easier topics in Level 1 so failing it really hurt you. I don’t think its a terribly difficult topic to grasp if you put the time in, whereas economics and quant methods can take a good deal more effort in comparison. Also, FRA is a very important topic and you should shoot for getting above 70% in. If you work your way to the +70% range in both FRA and Fixed Income you’ll very likely clear Level 1 holding other topic performance constant.

First of all I’m sorry for your failure. It’s never nice to receive that result; even if you’re expecting it. However, you said it yourself that you treated this exam like the first 3 months of college - no wonder you failed! I’m pretty sure if this is the case then if you actually were to study your butt off (like everyone else who passed) then you’d nail it in December.

And FYI I was a Band 10 in December so I get what you’re going through, but that gives you no excuse whatsoever to target the Asian community. Get a grip of yourself.

Put your head down for the 3 months leading up to your resit (like I did) and pass the damn thing rather than moaning about it.

38% Americans can’t point out America on a world map.

:slight_smile:

Kravnos guy hijacked your thread badly.

But - to his point, yes, per person Luxembourg or Norway or Singapore are the wealthiest countries.

As far as TOTAL wealth, USA has them all beat by a mile due to sheer size.

I wouldn’t want to live in (Beijing, Shanghai) China because I wouldn’t want my kids to die by the time they are 50 due to the horrific air quality.

Japan was wonderful though, such nice people and such a modern country (more so than the US). Now if they could just get their debt under control! lol

I dont mind repeating myself but where the heck did you need differential equation for level 1??? I passed and I really suck in that field.

Try and work hard and dont blame chinese or any other race.

Maybe u got everything on platter/loans thatsb why u dont want to work hard

Wake up

Well … I failed as well … I did start farely late but I really put a lot of effort in it, especially the last few weeks …

I won’t go into details about what scores I achived because it’s simply not relevant for the story. The main point of this story is that I am really pi**ed because I used Stalla mobile app planer - it planned the wrong things, it wasn’t thourogh and detailed enough … yes, this is also an “excuse” but I really thought that it would help me …

at the end of the day, it’s not wrong to use an app planner - it really helps a candidate in organizing the looong studies, it helps the candidate stay on track and keep its discipline … it’s certainly not a cliche, it does help … but, I spend a lot of time on setting the Stalla mobile app … it doesn’t have the neccesary functions I needed …

On the other hand - right at the end of the study period, at the end of May, I discovered the TimePrep app … it’s intuitive, it’s got the Schweser materials that I actually use … BUT, it was too late and I couldn’t switch then …

So, for me … quiting is not an option for me … I will pass the exam in Decemeber for sure! And that’s what I would recommend to everybody - don’t quit, don’t give up, just stay focused and don’t lose time on unneccessary things!

Just make your own study plan ahead of time. Get schweser, and hit the books. Then hit the CFAI books and all their EOC questions, repeatedly.

Don’t rely on a 3rd party app for keeping you on track and don’t blame them. “it planned the wrong things” - how about “I didn’t study hard enough - my fault and my fault alone”.

When I failed Level II, I said “I deserved to fail, I must not have studied hard enough”. I did not fault schweser or some other app planner. Hell I don’t even know what an app planner is.

Well, I know … that’s what I thought as well … don’t rely on anything but yourself … but, then my friend suggested this TimePrep, I gave it a try, and it’s somehow different and easy … yeah, I know that I can use pen-and-paper and then organize, cross things out and fill things in … but, this app is constantly with me on my iphone and I can always see my progress …

So, I get what you’re saying, but I still think that it’s not that bad … yes, a couple of dozen hours would’ve helped as well, but the fact that I used that stalla crap-app is the main reason …

Perfectly rational thread gets hijacked by racists. Awesome. Don’t blame the Chinese on your lack of dedication.

“It’s not my fault - it was the app! The app made me not study hard enough!”

lol.

I know… i try not to mock but if you rely your studying on an app… that’s kinda :frowning:

Absolutely. If anything, non-native English speakers are at a disadvantage interpreting fairly nuanced questions. I actually believe that the these folks push the passing rate down, not up. But they and we know that we are competing in a global marketplace. Indians and Chinese have as much right to succeed as Americans or Australians. Stop worrying about how tens of thousands of other test takers did and focus on your own success… everyone knows the strategy: learn the material, score 70%+ on practice exams, don’t make the proctors mad, and you have a good chance of passing.

Band 7, started in mid March :frowning: Didn’t have enough time to study/didn’t study hard enough.

surprised you failed you should have got close to 60-65% with those weights in ethics and equity

you must have got very close to 50 and 70 and really bombed econ and FI

edit wtf at chinese comments weigting pass rate based on nationality is ridiculous, CFA title should go to the best not swing on some affirmitive esque crap, study harder next time. and china economy will fine ppl are overblowing it because they’re scared 2008 2.0 but chinese businesses are liquid enough to survive a cash crunch i should know because i export lumber to near Harbin and my two best friends near real estsate and planer mill in the nearby provinces. but just cuz CN will be fine doesnt mean they own USA lol own what a bunch of fiat? debt that is un-leverable because it would destroy the CN balance sheet as much as US? CN needs US even more than vice versa yet, US needs them for debt for CN needs them for debt and exports. US can make due without the important.

The guy actually passed. For whatever reason (I suspect drugs, alcohol or both) he is putting up this racist crap. Hope the AF admins take care of this.

Spend less time beating your chest shouting “America is the best!” and more time studying and then maybe you’ll do better than the Chinese.

Hey guys! I failed with a band 6 in December and passed in June, and used the fear of failure as a motivator. I spent a whole weekend going through the way I studied and prepared for the exam and changed my whole routine and environment.

Some of the things I changed were:

• I switched from going home and studying at a university library to studying straight after work in a meeting room.
  • Switched from a time limit of study per night (eg. 2hrs) to study sessions per night. (Usually 1 study session per night, excluding particularly long sections which I gave 2 nights)
  • Gave myself all of may to revise. I busted myself to make sure I finished the course a month early which I didn’t do for the December exam.
  • Shirked the attitude of “I’ll take it easy tonight but I’ll have a big study night tomorrow”. This killed me in decembers exam and is crappy time management.
  • I also kept a meticlious plan. Every day had study targets but I also booked a few weekends away with friends to blow off steam. Remember it’s a marathon not a sprint - don’t feel guilty taking a break but always keep the last 6 weeks for what it is. A flat out study blitz.

There isn’t any secret formula, I’m sure a lot of people will have different opinions but these are a few of the things I changed.

Good luck with whatever course you choose!

LOL

Well … as I said, I ALSO blame myself … of course I do … of course! But, on the other hand I wanted to point out the organizing technique I used that failed and the other one that’s awesome …

Why use a mobile app, why not just use the official literature and the official mock exam? They’re comprehensive and you’re certain to pass if you go through them all.