Family Relations

Yes, CFA may be of little use to an accounting guy like me.

I think it is worth noting that the people who made the negative comments regarding the CFA did not complete college and therefore do not really know what it means to better one’s self through educational endeavors, plus they’re all liberals and look down on the whole financial system. My wife is an attorney and knows what it means to have to focus and study for exams and has been very supportive. I couldn’t ask for more support from her, although I know that it is wearing on her since we have a 19 month old. If I fail level III, I am not sure that I can go for another round right off, which adds to my motivation. Unfortunately, it seems like some of her family members think I am using this exam to skip out on events that they plan (which seems like almost every weekend).

Just remind them that the exam is in just under two months, and that - while you may be offline until then - as soon as the exam is over, you plan to be spending lots of time with them… enough, in fact, that they may find themselves missing the days when they didn’t have to deal with you…

Make a commitment to pester them about stuff every day “have you taken your medication,” “have you put away enough for your retiremnet,” “have you planned something sufficiently impressive for your upcoming aniversary,” “what do you think about this color of paint for the interior of the garage?” “Do you think black and decker is a good brand of snow-blower,” “How did your last colonoscopy go?,” “Perhaps mom should have a new mammogram each quarter?” etc.

so you are lucky to have a supportive wife. I have a 20 months old. I skip almost all the events until the first week of June. I try to get a better future for my family and they are not paying my bills, so I do as I like.

good advise I will keep it in my mind!

I like that advice. I’ll make it a point to be “the best son in law they’ve ever seen” once these exams are done.

Mostly, they just want to know that you understand their concerns, I’d think. So it’s probably more important to communicate that you’re going to be making the effort than it is actually to succeed in it (though that would be good too).