Firm Wide Quant Programming group at Goldman

I’m pretty sure he meant “algo” as in trading algorithms But hey, “horse” in Greek is not a bad second guess!

I cannot believe the market is that bad now. I heard some front office quants at other banks are applying for positions at Goldman IT because their desk is closed. Scary. :frowning:

stupid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I cannot believe the market is that bad now. I > heard some front office quants at other banks are > applying for positions at Goldman IT because their > desk is closed. Scary. :frowning: that’s just dumb. you “hear” a lot of strange things, pal

I didn’t just “hear”, the quant is friend’s friend. I guess when people usually talk about IT, we think about running network and maintaining the database.

I am thinking about dropping this opportunity. I heard at GS IT, the only title available is analyst, VP and MD. So I would get a title like senior analyst if I join, so this is going to be a setback to me right? Would it be stupid of me to drop a job because of title?

Say what? You can’t tell people you are a “senior analyst at Goldman”? If that’s a setback to you, congrats.

Shucks, MD is as high as you can go in that group? :wink:

It sounds like a great opportunity. Don’t look at the department you are in. Look at your co-workers. PHDs and MFE from CMU are quant geeks. It seems like these guys are becoming a hot commodity. I do know CMU has one of the top financial engineering programs out there (they basically created the MFE), so if you work with those guys, you are in good company.