First ~$5,500 to invest. Open to suggestions

I would suggest you tuck that money in a savings account, figure out the type of investor you are and what you want to own, and just watch stocks. We’re at the peak of the market now, trading volumes are down, shorts are getting squeezed and fundamentally good longs are underperforming – it all tells you that funds are taking down gross exposure and nobody is willing to take conviction risks. If hedge funds are getting blown up left and right and mutual funds are underperforming too, you’re probably better off staying on the sidelines and *observing*. All too often people get too excited about putting money to work, only to make some stupid decisions because they don’t understand how to invest and blow it all. Watch how the market and stocks behave, educate yourself, and in the meantime don’t take too much risk.

I work at a hedge fund, so my job is all about taking calculated risk, but I’m telling you…it’s really tough to beat the markets. Also, I think SUNE equity will be completely worthless. Zero. Buy SUNE if you want to lose all your money in the next few months.

While Numi is a God amongst us, not sure if I agree. Since markets are upward sloping, we spend an awful lot of time near or at peaks. So if he’s just trying to create a portfolio for his financial needs for a long time horizon, I’d just invest it. I don’t know if he wants to beat the market, given he is planning to invest at least partially in an index. But if your goal is to beat markets, then I think Numi advice is good

Any opinion on WFC?

^

bought it at $45 bro. I would look at PNC too.

numi has no idea what he’s talking about. No one that works at a hedge fund actually tells people they work at a hedge fund. It’s like having money. You don’t talk about it.

SUNE is where it’s at. Asset allocation is a limp-wristed approach to investing. Pick one penny stock and watch it grow into a 10-bagger.

(It’s really sad, but you’ll probably get better advice at reddit.com/r/personalfinance)

Hey buddy, let’s play nice here. People can read the links in my signature and figure out for themselves if I know what I’m talking about. You don’t hear me talking about all the stock debates I’ve had with people here and victory lapping about all the calls I’ve made over many years now (almost a decade now dating back to the legacy AF site, I might add), but I can dig 'em out of the cache if people care.

I think STL was being sarcastic, the clue is the “pick one penny stock and watch it grow into a 10-bagger.”

Same as the other thread. Anyone that takes buying SUNE seriously deserves to lose their money. The fact you think you need to point that out (and validate your position by mentioning you work for a hedge fund {does that actually matter?}) is pretty funny.

As to your calls being right or wrong, who cares? Past performance and all that. You don’t make any calls now. You just mention you work at a hedge fund. Which considering about 90% of them perform horribly isn’t a great qualifier. If you want to be taken seriously, contribute again.

tl;dr - be more like bromion. Where ever he is.

Edit: bchad is correct. I was being sarcastic. But, my in-laws are coming in town today so I’m also a bit pissed off in general.

Haha, no worries and fair points. By the way, I had posted something on the SUNE thread and deleted - just in case you saw - I sympathize with the “in-laws” thing.

Do you have in-laws now, numi? Or are they just in-laws on a trial basis.

I must admit that my in-laws usually like me and treat me well. When I first split with my ex, the two things I missed most were my father-in-law and the cat.

Didn’t see it and whatever it was I’m sure I deserved it. I’m being a dick today.

Funny enough, I actually get along well with my in-laws so I shouldn’t be in a bad mood. I think it has more to do with them staying at our house while they’re here. I don’t like houseguests in general. Have to be on good behavior, appear to drink less while actually drinking more to tolerate them, wear pants…what a drag.

Hahah! No in-laws for me but I have siblings that are married so I hear the whole spectrum of things. I guess everyone’s relationship with their in-laws is unique but I do hear of things being “different” when they stay over for an extended period of time (frankly probably true of anyone crashing for a long period of time, in-laws or not)

That must have been a pretty amazing cat, ha!

What he said. Ditto

There’s a saying in Latin American circles that “After three days, guests start to stink.” It is true that when my quasi-in-laws (I’m not married, but my GF’s mom stops by), things can be a little boring for a while, but there isn’t any strife.

The cat was very very cute, but admittedly not all that smart.