For the hated CFPs here...

CFP barrier for entry just raised with the requirement of an undergrad degree. However, one can still call themselves a financial planner without the designation or education requirements.

mwvt9, could u please send me the link regarding CE credit earned on each CFA exam taken ??? I coud not find this information on the website. Thanks.

dlhdang Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mwvt9, could u please send me the link regarding > CE credit earned on each CFA exam taken ??? I coud > not find this information on the website. > Thanks. Hello dlhdang, From “http://www.fpsccanada.org/students/earning_designation” Path to CFP® Education There are two ways to meet the educational requirement. You can successfully complete one of over 30 FPSC-Accredited Education Programs offered by approved education program providers in distance and/or classroom settings across Canada. Alternatively, if you hold any one of the following professional credentials or degrees you can qualify under the Approved Prior Credentials Policy: CA, CGA, CMA, CFA, CLU, FCIA, Ph.D in finance, economics or business or are a member of a provincial law society). Candidates must attempt the CFP Examination within five years of completing an FPSC-Accredited Education Program, without exception Example of one program in ontario : Financial Planning Certificate of Achievement COMPLETION REQUIREMENTS Courses should be completed in the order listed: CEFN-801: Financial Planning Fundamentals CEFN-802: Contemporary Practices in Financial Planning CEFN-803: Comprehensive Practices in Risk & Retirement Planning CEFN-804: Wealth Management and Estate Planning Notes: To qualify for CFP Certified Financial Planner equivalency, a minimum grade of 60% for each course is required. So to sum it up, If you have the CFA, you dont need to take the above 4 courses or any other program, you simply show up to the test, write it, and get your CFP. If you dont have the CFA, you have to do an accredited program offered at most community colleges.

dlhdang Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mwvt9, could u please send me the link regarding > CE credit earned on each CFA exam taken ??? I coud > not find this information on the website. > Thanks. You have to log into the CFP website at www.cfp.net. Then you have to click on view/report CE and manually enter the CE. When you are prompted to put in the CE provider you have to put DESIGNATION in the search box. When you do several financial designations will appear. You then scroll down to your appropriate level of the CFA exam and click submitt. 60 hours like that. Of course you have to have PASSED the level. Being a candidate doesn’t count. Hope this helps.

thanks mwvt9 and IH8FSA. for the information

mwvt9…can you post the link where you found that information?..I looked around the site but did not see it anywhere? Thanks in advance

has anyone here passed the CFA exams first and then taken CFP? curious to know what the top prep programs are as there doesn’t seem to be a fixed curriculum. i’ve been told ken zahn is the way to go, but i’d prefer just using kaplan.

TheDubs Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mwvt9…can you post the link where you found > that information?..I looked around the site but > did not see it anywhere? Thanks in advance 1. https://www.cfp.net/Secure/DynamicPage.aspx?WebCode=LoginRequired&Site=Secure This is the link to login to the CFP’s main page… 2. Then you must click View/Report CE under the center section of the page titled “My CFP Certification” 3. The click report CE (grey button) 4. In the search box type “designation” and hit GO. 5. Then click the hyperlink “select” next to Designations and licenses. 6. Scroll down to CFA Level X exam and click on select on the left side for your most recent level passed. 7. There may be one step but I don’t want to resubmitt anything under my profile. You should be able to get it from here. Dubs- I never really found any info on the site, I had to talk with someone at the CFP board. They walked me through the process above to get the appropriate credits. Hope this helps.