GE made 14.2 billion in profits in 2010, but paid not a penny in taxes

@BVG/Higg, Okay, I concede that Higg was arguing porpotionions. But that still leaves an adjustment for economic activity that needs to be made. As I said, increase is economic activity can increase corporate profits disproportionately to personal income. P.S. Masters are on live at Masters.com

murders&executions Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just eliminate the corporate income tax > altogether. It all flows to the personal level. > Tax it once and be done with it. This is one of the better arguments I know for lower corporate tax rates. However, I’m not sure it really does all flow to the personal level (obviously reinvestment can be deducted as an expense, dividends flow to stockholders, and capital gains eventually flow, but the timing is uncertain). I’d need to think about this more.

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bchadwick Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > One thing that’s interesting is that in public > > opinion surveys, Americans almost universally > > loathe Congress, but they usually like THEIR > > Congressman/woman. Similarly, we have large > > numbers of people who loathe government > spending, > > but they really like the pork THEY get. > > > Brings to mind one of my favorite quotes: > > “A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of > government. It can only exist until the voters > discover that they can vote themselves largesse > from the public treasury. From that moment on, the > majority always votes for the candidates promising > the most benefits from the public treasury with > the result that a democracy always collapses over > loose fiscal policy, always followed by a > dictatorship. The average age of the world’s > greatest civilizations has been 200 years.” > > We’re now 222 - 234 years old, depending on how > you look at it. I doubt the veracity of this claim because the same people who like to spout this garbage are the same type of people that believe America ‘invented’ freedom and democracy. No basis in reality.

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > marcus phoenix Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > Of course they would, we had the biggest > housing > > bubble in the history of united states and we > > spent trillions on the wars in Iraq and > > Afghanistan for the years you specified. > > > > How can tax receipts approach similar levels in > > the worst downturn since the 1930s? > > > You lost me. How do the housing bubble, the Iraq > war and the Afghan war translate into corporations > shouldering a higher portion of the tax burden > than they had in nearly 30 years? How do they > translate into corporations paying the 3 highest > dollar totals in history in 2006, 2007 & 2008? High and increasing GDP = Higher Corporate Net Income = Higher Tax Liability Economic Downturn = Lower NI or Losses which = lower tax liability or an offset of tax liability by carry forward or back. pretty Fin intuitive…