Getting >70% on mock/pratice exams?

I am at a loss for words…I thought 65-70 was potential to pass based on relative performance, but everyone on here getting 75 - 90, and i saw someone say they studied 1.5 months? Is this the board for those who are intellectually gifted or is the avg pass score going to increase dramatically this year? Lol I am at a loss for words

Thanks. This is pretty encouraging actually. I hope to hear more of the same!

I go through the vignettes in order and try to answer all the Q’s. Usually takes me about 2 hours. If I am stumped on a Q I skip it and come back to it at the end of the exam. I put in an effort to answer it, but don’t waste too much time, if I start feeling any bit of frustration I move on. On 2 Q’s on the mock I did yesterday this happened and when I came back to it at the end I saw the answer right away, I had just missed something kind of obvious and it helps to re-do the Q with a fresh mind on it.

I got 75% on the 2011 Mock and it took me 4 hours.

I think a lot of the posts are people bragging about their scores. On the schweser mock from yesterday, it looks like the average scores for the AM and PM sessions are 54% in the AM and 59% in the PM.

TYVM for the actual decent sample size on this one. I didn’t take the Schweser Mock this year for Level 2.

65-70 is potential to pass. Not everyone on here is getting 75-90. I would say the average on the board that I see is in the 60’s for the CFAI mocks. And I would guess that the people that are on this board every day are going to do a bit better than average.

except for those people who spend more time on AF than actually studying! :slight_smile:

My score ranges from 68% to 80%. Do you guys think that the Schweser practice exams are more difficult than the real one? My score tumbles when I proceed to the volume 2 of Schweser practice exam, and it seems that some questions are calculation intensive.

I don’t really use AF to learn. I use it to socialize and chat :smiley:

I sure hope so too. Good luck!

Addition to my first post: CFAI AM - 75%, CFAI PM - 82%, but I barely managed to complete them in 3 hours.

Took Schweser and avegraged 75% with high volatility (range 68 - 80). Took mocks but got hammered in the 2011 am section 64! my lowest but combined am and pm 72%.

2012 am - 75%… The FRA part felt like i was taking the CPA exam…(did terrible, 2/6) Can’t believe that depth they are testing… did anyone else feel the same way? None of the big 3 chapt. (intercorp, pension and mulitnationals) tested. Shocker! maybe i will see it in pm…

Finaly, any tips on ethics? Those questions are way too detail oriented. Do i need to memorize all requirements AND recommmendations? What is your strategy…

Thanks.

Took Schweser and avegraged 75% with high volatility (range 68 - 80). Took CFAI mocks but got hammered in the 2011 am section 64! my lowest but combined am and pm 72%.

CFAI 2012 am - 75%… The FRA part felt like i was taking the CPA exam…(did terrible, 2/6) Can’t believe that depth they are testing… did anyone else feel the same way? None of the big 3 chapt. (intercorp, pension and mulitnationals) tested. Shocker! maybe i will see it in pm…

Finaly, any tips on ethics? Those questions are way too detail oriented. Do i need to memorize all requirements AND recommmendations? What is your strategy…

Thanks.

Schweser V1 1 - 73

Schweser V1 2 - 71

Schweser V1 3 - 77

Schweser V2 1 - 71

although I read it all the time I have finally come to the conclusion that I am not doing much to improve my score by taking mocks. With that said I’m going to take the CFA mock on sat and then go through all of eoc’s for the last week.

Kevin, I’m in the same boat as you for ethics, no matter what I do i have trouble consistently getting better than 4/6. I would love to hear from someone who has mastered it.

+1 to the ethics questions, if anyone has a good strategy to tackle ethics questions. Please share, should be very helpful.

I’ve just done CFAI Mock 2011 AM and it was a joke compared to CFAI Mock 2012 (got a better result, didn’t get stuck on any problem, finished in just over 2 hours). Makes me wonder if CFAI made their 2012 Mocks harder on purpose.

do as many questions as you possibly can. there’s no secret to 70+. you must master the concepts you get wrong and study them diligently. simply reading the answers isn’t good enough. make study notes and re-read and practice EOC questions if you have to. I also would write down all the questions I get wrong and then redo those the next day after you’ve reviewed.

practice practice practice. there’s always going to be those memorization questions here and there that get you… there’s only 60 questions per session, that’s not a lot of room for error. the concepts are also related and can pop up in more than one question or case, which is why it’s important to know them all. everything is relevant and nothing can be skipped over. this is the method that has worked for me.

On CFAI 2012 PM there is one question on ethics which require us to read the CFAI appendixes … fu** !

I stick to Schweser on ethics, I realize that I will not be able to awnser the all questions but I believe in my deduction skills and save my time to master the other topics.

My results:

Schweser (Raw) - 62.5% / 69.2% / 65.8% (Adjusted) - 66.7% / 74.2% / 70% CFAI (Raw) - 57.5% / 74.2% / 73.3% (Adjusted) - 65.8% / 76.7% / 76.7% So the adjusted scores basically reflect going back through the exam and finding “stupid” mistakes (ex: not adding rf back to CAPM). Total the “stupid” mistakes and divide by 2 given the test environment, you will never truly be totally mistake-free. I also account for the “guessing” involved with some of the tests by not doing anything to them, since it should normalize over the # of questions I’ve done. I’ve done the Schweser tests first and then the CFAI mocks, but i truly feel the CFAI mocks were juss another leg up in difficulty. My strategies for the final days is to simply do more questions and grade them afterwards. Study hard on the stuff you missed, since it is now implied that the material you got correct is embedded in your knowledge base.

For those who are stressing at poor marks on the practice, I think you should really “chill out” for a bit. Take an hour break doing something other than CFA! I started my practice exam writing at the end of April & got 52% on my 1st schweser! Was in panic mode & started studying hardcore, but the material i learned didn’t even sink in. I think that happens to everyone, which is why being calm is extremely important!

1 last thing I might add. I hope everyone takes the advice of an earlier post about “owning” the exam. If you do not believe you will pass, then what are the chances that you will? For those who’ve studied hard, believe in your many hours of studying and results will come! Don’t forget it is a pass or fail exam! Don’t let other people scare you when they say they score 90+ on practice. At the end of the day, it is still a pass if you are 0.1% above the pass rate! =)

Good luck to everyone!

I just did the CFA 2012 mock today got 76.67 %. I also is the luck factor thats counts which areas are your forte. I am just keeping my fingers and toes crossed . Cheers

I just did the CFA 2012 mock today got 76.67 %. I also is the luck factor thats counts which areas are your forte. I am just keeping my fingers and toes crossed . Cheers