GMAT math - why might this be difficult?

CAFicionado Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I maxed out the math GRE, which I consider to be > almost identical to the GMAT math. [*] > > Here are my observations: > 1. If you are mathematically gifted and/or work in > a math-intensive field, the key is simply not to > make stupid mistakes. Unlike the CFA exams, you > have a lot of time to work with in the GMAT/GRE > math. When I took some practice exams, I would > get less than perfect when my attention waned > and/or when I tried to go too fast. > 2. If not the key is lots and lots of repetition > to see the same motifs of math problems. > 3. Either way, lot of repetition and studying “for > the test” (time rationing especially) is much more > important than studying the “material itself,” > since you probably know the material already and > if you don’t, it’s not too much to learn. You > aren’t, for example, dealing with a 3,500-page > body of (mostly-incompressible) knowledge like the > curriculum for each of the three levels of the CFA > exams. > > [*] I think I could have gotten 1000/800 if that > were possible…but I’m not too proud of my > mathematical abilities since I deal with much, > much, much more mathematically-gifted people on a > daily basis. (They are mathematically deeper > thinkers than I am in ways that go beyond and/or > can be measured by an elementary math test.) douche

Now I understand why these 800s are being dinged!

Thanks for the tips guys. It sounds like the recurring suggestions are just to get as much practice as I can under test-taking conditions (computer-based tests, time constraints, etc.). I agree that there is nothing new in terms of math skills here; it’s just a matter of getting comfortable with the test setting and not getting caught in traps. I want to focus on practice questions that most closely emulate the actual exam; I don’t want to go for questions that are too easy or too hard because that would probably not be time well spent. Sounds like you guys think the Official Guide questions are the most important, followed perhaps by GMATPrep or othe GMATClub.com challenges. Anyway, I’ll keep you posted on my progress. I’m sure I’ll have more questions as I get around to studying the verbal section, but this looks like a good start. Thanks again.

That was my honest view on the preparation. 1. Practice, practice, practice…to the point of rote…if you are having trouble. (corresponds to the original #2) 2. If you are good at math, focus really hard to not make mistakes. (corresponds to the original #1) 3. In either case, you have to study more for the exam than the material. (corresponds to the original #3) Whether or not you think I’m a douche, and/or the test is easy since douches can max them out, and/or that I’m incapable of maxing out tests standardized tests are separate points. Ignore the tone of my posts and focus on the content if you think I am a douche. The type of thinking and/or language that involves rainbows, marshmallows, butterflies, bunnies, harps, etc. may make you feel better, but they won’t help you with destroying the math section of the test.

i got 78% on GMAT Quant. I guess i don’t know math :slight_smile:

Hi guys, I am looking for some GMAT preparation suggestions as well. I took the Veritas GMAT Prep class about a year ago and did not get much out of the class. Also, at that time I was not very motivated to study and some personal and work things happened that I never followed up on self studying and giving the exam. Over the weekend, I plan on taking a practice exam to see where I score and how much preparation I will need. What I am wondering is has anyone used Veritas and or their material? I have all the study guides and practice exams to start studying from. However, from all your previous posts, it seems like Manhattan Seems to be the most prominent and has good credibility. Should I spend a few extra dollar and their study guides and should I also get the official study guides from GMAC? Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You, BCH

Was going to start a new thread, but thought i’d “search” and see if i can find something similar. Anyhow, I’m planning on prepping for GMAT soon (haven’t signed up yet), but i’m going to give myself 3 months or so to study (want to get 710+ in first try). Here is the Question: I was wondering if anyone here has tried the “Manhattan Gmat Self-Study Prep”? It costs $590 and includes their 8 strategy guides, 3 OG’s, bunch of tests and 2 hrs pivate sessions with an instructor over the phone. It is pricey, but is it worth it? I read thru some threads on Gmatclub and it seemed people used various books (i.e. Kaplan 800, few MGMAT strategies, OG’s etc.). Nobody i know tried MGMAT “Self-Study” package. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

> I’ll worry about picking a date for the exam > later, but will probably take it in the fall. I would suggest just picking a date in advance, this way you have a goal to work towards and you’ll keep yourself on task. I also wouldn’t suggest dragging the studying out over too long of a time frame, I’d suggest 2 months being a MAX. Although I guess this depends how dedicated you are in your studying efforts. I used Princeton and I felt like the sentence correction, reading comprehension, and essay content did a good job at preparing me for the exam. The math section is good at helping you know HOW you should approach the problems, but I’d suggest getting the actual GMAT math practice book and work your way through the hardest problems. Also keep in mind that the actual GMAT is taken on a computer - is can be a lot more challenging to get used to then you may think compared to a paper and pencil exam. Make sure you take both of the free practice exams available through the GMAT software, and I’d also suggest doing the online tests that come with the Princeton review prior to using the GMAT software. Good luck!

I haven’t taken this yet but plan to next year. For those who got 700-800 and if the books have 400-800 level questions, how do you study the 700-800 level questions? Are there separate books to this? Granted that to get to the upper level questions, you have to score correctly on the lower level questions, but to get top scores, did you zone in on (and use) any specific study guides? Or is it just about knowing the method, format, and timing to the questions like the back of your hand –

Keep in mind that math on the actual exam can get VERY difficult when you keep on getting questions right. When I took the exam, during the last half hour, I got some ridiculously long and complex math questions that I took one look at and quickly skipped to not waste time. I still got max score on math despite these, so if you see them, don’t worry, you’re probably in good shape.

To practice the 700-800 level questions you really need to take practice CAT exams, such as the 6 given to you when you purchase a mgmat book. Honestly, the practice questions in the books just don’t cut it. If you are in the 700-800 range, you should be scoring around 98% in the 500-600 range (which means they are of no use) and then maybe 70%+ in the 600-700 range (which still isn’t that helpful if you consider simple mistakes). Good Luck

no theres a gre math subject test the math section on the standard gre is a joke