Google vs. Facebook - who wins?

ChickenTikka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I will care about which system I’m using. that’s how i think about it. to me its all about the interface. at some point almost all of our data will be based on clouds so it will really be up to how we want to see/use/access it.

BUMP.

I think the battle of the next decade is apple vs google. World supremacy is on the line.

Dwight Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Google FTW > > BS has some good points though - biggest drawback > is definitely the photos. > > Who wants to look at all their old pictures after > a few years though? Not me? Google+ wins. And Dwight has it right with this comment. Maybe you’ll take out a few photographs that are good you may want to frame or captured a special moment, but honestly how many “PARTYTONIGHTWEHADFUNHEHEHEHEALBUM#101011022827391” do you need? I mean mostly all the photos on FB are the same just a different night. Same three chicks, same pose, same location, new night, same outfits. RFOL. Maybe too much, but you get the point. Google+ circles is a good concept too. Google+ is a hybrid of facebook and twitter. It will take a while to catch on, but it has a lot of potential. I was curious when google would release an operating system for computers too. I see it happening. Facebook is made off one idea that IMO got progressively worse. 6 years ago, facebook was awesome. not today. Google has evolved and with the amount of $$ they have they can enter any market they want. Aren’t they going to start renting laptops for $20 a month where they will continually upgrade them for free so you stay somewhat current? I remember one of my nerd friends who use trillian telling me about this.

I’m still having trouble learning the Google+ interface; I guess I’m too used to Facebook. But I like the basic concept. I really like the Circles idea, and I’m sure that Facebook will implement something similar shortly. For example, people on AF sometimes try to link to me on Facebook, but I’m usually not comfortable with them knowing that level of detail about my personal stuff. But I could imagine creating an AF circle on Google+ and give access to a lesser level of detail.

Less than 4 weeks into launch, anyone else still think Google+ will overtake FB? Anyone finding an active user base while on G+? I have 50+ friends in circles but no one posts anything on it aside from 2 active users. In addition alot of those posts I also see posted by the same users on FB. I think there comes a point where people get sick of switching and FB has entrenched many users to the point that switching has too many costs (photos, user base, and familiarity with service). Also for those who have spoken highly about Google products please explain: Buzz, Wave, and the lesser known in the United states Orkut Social Networking experiment. People always enjoy bashing FB but for now their product remains easy to use and has a strong more active user base when compared to G+. True the Internet is fickle but FB has weathered many storms and thus far and Google’s latest attempt appears to be a dud.

> Also for those who have spoken highly about Google > products please explain: > Buzz, Wave, and the lesser known in the United > states Orkut Social Networking experiment. > > People always enjoy bashing FB but for now their > product remains easy to use and has a strong more > active user base when compared to G+. True the > Internet is fickle but FB has weathered many > storms and thus far and Google’s latest attempt > appears to be a dud. First off, Facebook has not weathered many storms except if you count the arguments people get in at family events when they don’t want to friend them because they like a little privacy. This is why Google+ could kick off. Because it provides that level of discretion like BChad said. You could create an AF circle, co-workers, family, friends, etc. Storms though? They haven’t had a real competition yet so I don’t understand the turmoil they’ve gone through. Did they not harvest their crops in time and lost their farmville money… Since when did everything someone does need to be successful? Instead of pointing out a few google products that haven’t become wildly successful think of a few that have: www.google.com, google chrome, google maps, google earth, now owns youtube, gmail, blogger, androids. they’re moving into new territory too, like the automated cars someone posted a link to, renting laptops, cloud service, coding, a service to rival groupon… so basically what i’m saying is you sound like an idiot if you honestly think facebook is better than google, because they only have one product and we all know what happened to: myspace, friendster, whateverotherbullshitsocialmediasite

The automated cars idea from GOOG is going to change the world. You heard it hear first. :wink:

I was not implying in any way that I think Facebook as a company is better than Google as a company. I am focusing on the two products Facebook the social networking site vs Google+. I was simply pointing out that while Google is well known to have success in other areas they have failed at the social networking game in my opinion. I listed Buzz (Twitter knockoff), Orkut (pre FB but still did not shoot off at least in the States), and Wave (not even sure what that was meant to do) as disappointments. Also all these items you mention Google+ has as positives are easily copied by other competitors. What is going to stop FB from implementing something similar to appease that specific group? As for storms, they are the second most visited site in the world and all they do is social networking. Google’s top spot is primarily as a result of their industry leading search engine. Again two different products. Lastly, it is easy for you to call someone an idiot behind the computer screen but you did not provide much to conversation aside from ad hominem. Here I will spell it out for you in case you still don’t get it: The topic at hand is social networking and competition within that segment, NOT if FB is a better company than Google.

I think facebook will have to make some big changes if they want to compete with google in the future…coz people are already complaining about so much spam on facebook and if google is able to make the social networking experience better, people won’t hesitate to switch. A lot of my friends have started using google+ and are loving it.