Gun talk... looking for a .308 semi-auto rifle

It wasn’t raining when Noah built the ark.

However, Noah had a credible warning of impending rain.

Gersh Kuntzman shouldn’t have been allowed on the ark either.

The ark was not for simps.

1 Like

Here’s your credible warning.

Black people started wearing their pants low. White people started calling it “saggin”.
Spell saggin backwards! You sneaky white people!

Gotta admit, the insult is growing on me. Might start mixing it in… I can already see this becoming a thing.

If you are looking to use mainly for defense, especially inside, then I would highly recommend you look into getting a suppressor for whatever you get. Firing anything inside is going to be LOUD! And there is a good chance if you need to use it indoors, you won’t have a chance to put on ear protection.

lol i just had flashbacks. and my ears just started twitching and now i can hear a ringing sound.

A buddy of mine is building an AR pistol and it piqued my interest. I’ve often window shopped the various components, but only ever bought complete weapons. Anyway, I started shopping around, and the more desirable (IMO) platforms are all out of stock / wayyyy backordered. Same with bulk ammo.

So I started looking at nonconventional calibers and found some pretty sweet deals. HP, you definitely should check out building an AR pistol in something like .458 SOCOM. All it takes is some specialization of the upper parts of the gun. It would take the same generic lower receiver and magazine as .223/5.56 AR15s.

I got pretty excited when I saw a complete upper in southpaw configuration, because even .223 lefty uppers are generally significantly more expensive that right-handed builds.

10.5 inch fast-twist, add the linear compensator, a TLR-1 light, MagPul flip-up iron sights (in case the battery-operated optic fails, but it shouldn’t because even if you leave the sight on 24/7, its battery is rated for like 10,000 hours), and a Trijicon red dot, and you’ve got a home-defense howitzer that doubles as an anti-T-rex weapon (in case Jurassic World Dominion comes true).

Haha nice, I’ve been on an AR pistol kick too. Just got the DD M4V7P and now I’m trying to get a DD PDW but having a crazy time trying to grab one.

Oh hi Bob, is that a suppressed full size 9 millimeter in your pants? Or you just happy to see me.

I don’t think it’s really feasible to conceal a tube like that.

As long as the concealed carry hangs to the left, you’re golden…

Is Daniel Defense supposed to be top-of-the-line?

And are they real quality, like Honda and Toyota? Or simply status signaling, like a Yeti?

It’s like buying a mac laptop versus a PC. Some people will argue mac’s are overpriced or that they could build a PC to higher specs for cheaper, but the mac systems have a certain fit, finish and form factor to them that many people find attractive. They also do clearly perform better than a standard run of the mill AR, it just comes down to whether or not an individual thinks it’s “worth it” which can be subjective. There are other brands that are equally good if not better including Noveske, LaRue, etc. I’m partial to them, my brother mostly buys Noveske’s.

I think he’s saying for home defense where concealment isn’t really an issue.

I guess my question is this–is it reliable enough to fire a round when I pull the trigger? Doesn’t jam or misfire easily? And is it accurate up to 300 yards?

Those are about the only two things I care about. I can’t imagine ever engaging somebody at more than 300 yards. As long as it hits what I want, and fires when I want, I don’t know what else you want out of a rifle. (Just my .02. I don’t get kicks out of owning weapons, nor out of firing them, nor out of showing them off.)

Ok, sure so you’re not a power user to put it in PC terms, not everybody needs a macbook pro, doesn’t mean the macbook pros aren’t awesome and serve a purpose in their own right or similarly sports cars aren’t worthwhile for some people. For anyone that does a decent amount of range shooting, DD’s are more accurate, more reliable, smoother handling and just all around great. Some people appreciate that, some people don’t. Same reason there are Wilson and Kimber 911’s out there for better shooters.

For me, I shot my first .22 when I was six, and until I left the farm for college, I probably shot some gun or another 5 days a week. I notice the difference and I’m not poor, so why would I buy a sh*ttier gun?

I guess I ask the question because I, too, am in the market for a rifle, but I’m leaning toward a 5.56/.223. I like the AR-15 style, but I lean toward wanting a shorter barrel. So I guess you could say I want an M4. And I don’t want to pay a fortune, but I want it to be reliable.

The DD lineup is intriguing. I just don’t know if I want to pay that much for something I hope I never use.

Well, I don’t know how much you’ve shopped lately but buying anything right now is borderline impossible and if you do find a rifle it will be heavily marked up. You really have two options. 1) Wait and hope this dies down over time and production catches up / buying slows down. 2) Get on the direct company web page “back in stock” notification lists and then pounce the second the rifle you want shows up in inventory.

Bushmasters etc are good economy priced AR’s in a normal environment. For me personally, if you buy a decent AR you might as well shoot it and if you do that over time you may find yourself wanting a DD (ammo is expensive though). One reason to stay away from the 300BLK rifles is the ammo is twice as expensive even in a normal market since its more of a niche round. I’m mostly familiar with the DD lineup although everyone has similar guns these days. Since you’re saying you want a shorter barrel gun then I would recommend one of either of these two:

This is a 14" barrel that has the flash hider pinned to it to meet the requirement as to avoid the NFA tax stamp and process associated with SBRs. This is good if you want something that feels more like a rifle. I have one of these.

The other alternative are what are called AR “pistols” because they use what is technically a “brace” instead of a stock to bypass the SBR requirements through what could be considered a loophole. As a result they have become the latest greatest popular item and are in high demand since this probably will not last. These are super short and awesome for tight space maneuverability but still pretty accurate out to a few hundred yards. Below are two, the only real difference is the front stock, the MK18 uses the front stock that special forces use (they order them from DD) which is heavier, it’s cool ,but I prefer the DDM4V7 front stock. I have the MK18 in the actual SBR version as well as the DDM4VP (pistol). These are the links to the pistol versions since you probably wouldn’t want to mess with the SBR cost and year long approval process. Getting any of these is borderline impossible right now but if you want and get on their notification list and act quick you can. I would just ignore the milspec / cerakote stuff, it’s unnecessary. Basically you have to buy it and it will be shipped to a local gun shop where you can pick it up and complete the transfer.