Hear me out.........

It would probably be a bluff anyway. There’s that great story in Liar’s Poker about Meriwether and the Salomon Bros. CEO who plays Liar’s poker with Meriwether. He comes up to Meriwether and says “One hand, $1M, no tears” and Meriwether says “No John, if we’re going to do it - one hand, $10M, no tears”. The CEO walks away and says “You’re crazy” to which Meriwether mutters “No John just very good”.

Danny Boy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > volante99 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I would never apply for a position that > > unconditionally required a “gmat” style > arithmetic > > and calculus test. > > If you wanted the job enough then you would. > Otherwise that’s a pretty silly reason to screw > yourself out of a position you may really desire. Yeah, that may be true… but something tells me any job that requires a GMAT style algebra/calculus test is NOT going to be anyone’s dream job…

This post is interesting. Without knowing anything about the job and just going by the info we have, this is what it looks like. Company: We have a job that requires you to be able to do x, so we want you to take a test demonstrating your ability to do x. You: That isn’t fair. I never learned how to do x, so I’ll probably do poorly on the test and it will hurt my chances of getting the job. Company: Uh, that’s the point of the test. If you never learned to do x, which we require, why do you think you are qualified for this job? If you want the job, then do as much studying as you can before the interview and give it your best shot. Don’t make any excuses or silly little comments like “wow my first time doing calc”. That sounds very transparent to me, and just further emphasizes your lack of experience in an area that they feel is important enough to warrant a test. Since it’s a three hour interview you will have plenty of time to stress your other strengths, don’t spend too much energy making this little piece into a big battle over what’s fair and what isn’t. Try your hardest, don’t make any excuses, and if it doesn’t work out, move on.