How do I ask for a raise?

You can start the conversation earlier, and 7 months might be sensible. The goal would be that by the annual review, you will have met the targets you agreed on, and then the raise gets implemented as part of the annual review process. If you don’t plan ahead, you run the risk of “Great job, here’s your CPI inflation adjustment.”

I can wait then. I’d love more $$ but I can’t complain about having a job…

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You can start the conversation earlier, and 7 > months might be sensible. The goal would be that > by the annual review, you will have met the > targets you agreed on, and then the raise gets > implemented as part of the annual review process. > > If you don’t plan ahead, you run the risk of > “Great job, here’s your CPI inflation adjustment.” “Great job, here’s your CPI inflation adjustment.” you mean his salary will be adjusted downward? ouch

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Here’s what you do… > > Fly Valores in from Espana. Rent him/her a tuxedo > and a bentley, and then buy him a ferragamo > briefcase embossed with ‘Goldman Sachs > Recruiting’. Have him pick you up for lunch - Ako > should be in the back of the Bentley in a white > linen suit with handcrafted italian loafers and no > socks. He will greet you outside your office with > the phrase, “I’m here to talk mother-fu$^*ing > money”. Then hop in the Bentley and run to > starbucks or something. By the time you get back, > tell them you need an extra 10k a year or you’re > rolling with ‘your peoples’. > > As they’re signing off on the raise, make sure > that you whisper ‘paid in full’. > > > *Caveat: The 15k may not cover Ako’s suit and > shoes, nor the bentley/tux rental/briefcase and > Valores’ business class flight from spain. you forget that i will be wearing a senseless amount of jewelry…

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Here’s what you do… > > Fly Valores in from Espana. Rent him/her a tuxedo > and a bentley, and then buy him a ferragamo > briefcase embossed with ‘Goldman Sachs > Recruiting’. Have him pick you up for lunch - Ako > should be in the back of the Bentley in a white > linen suit with handcrafted italian loafers and no > socks. He will greet you outside your office with > the phrase, “I’m here to talk mother-fu$^*ing > money”. Then hop in the Bentley and run to > starbucks or something. By the time you get back, > tell them you need an extra 10k a year or you’re > rolling with ‘your peoples’. > > As they’re signing off on the raise, make sure > that you whisper ‘paid in full’. > > > *Caveat: The 15k may not cover Ako’s suit and > shoes, nor the bentley/tux rental/briefcase and > Valores’ business class flight from spain. I like this idea. I LIKE IT A LOT!

Ako Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jcole21 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Here’s what you do… > > > > Fly Valores in from Espana. Rent him/her a > tuxedo > > and a bentley, and then buy him a ferragamo > > briefcase embossed with ‘Goldman Sachs > > Recruiting’. Have him pick you up for lunch - > Ako > > should be in the back of the Bentley in a white > > linen suit with handcrafted italian loafers and > no > > socks. He will greet you outside your office > with > > the phrase, “I’m here to talk mother-fu$^*ing > > money”. Then hop in the Bentley and run to > > starbucks or something. By the time you get > back, > > tell them you need an extra 10k a year or > you’re > > rolling with ‘your peoples’. > > > > As they’re signing off on the raise, make sure > > that you whisper ‘paid in full’. > > > > > > *Caveat: The 15k may not cover Ako’s suit and > > shoes, nor the bentley/tux rental/briefcase and > > Valores’ business class flight from spain. > > you forget that i will be wearing a senseless > amount of jewelry… I like your style dude.

Send 30 emails to them and then talk to the CEO.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Send 30 emails to them and then talk to the CEO. T.T

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Here’s what you do… > > Fly Valores in from Espana. Rent him/her a tuxedo > and a bentley, and then buy him a ferragamo > briefcase embossed with ‘Goldman Sachs > Recruiting’. O.o

have you had any discussions about job performance (independent of compensation, strictly performance)? if you can get her to evaluate you, and the evaluation goes well, then you’ve got a great argument for more money. If she tells you you have been doing a crap job, don’t even bother and start looking for something else.

smileygladhands Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > have you had any discussions about job performance > (independent of compensation, strictly > performance)? > > if you can get her to evaluate you, and the > evaluation goes well, then you’ve got a great > argument for more money. If she tells you you have > been doing a crap job, don’t even bother and start > looking for something else. Yeah, one month ago. She said I was exceeding expectations.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You can start the conversation earlier, and 7 > months might be sensible. The goal would be that > by the annual review, you will have met the > targets you agreed on, and then the raise gets > implemented as part of the annual review process. > > If you don’t plan ahead, you run the risk of > “Great job, here’s your CPI inflation adjustment.” Everyone else has pretty much covered it: 1) Tell them you’re happy. Tell them you like working there and that you feel pretty good about what you’ve done so far. 2) Confirm with them soon (within a few weeks) that you’ll have some kinda formal review process. If I correctly recall the firm you’re at, even the halfway houses in Miami that you’re operating out of will have some kind of yearly review. Normal schedule means early next year is evaluation/bonus/salary renegotiation. Also, I was kidding. You work for a good firm, and Miami is not a halfway house. I’m just jealous. 3) Ask them what you need to do to DOMINATE your work for the next few works. The more quantitative things you can get down, the better. 4) DOMINATE your work. Hit as many metrics they gave you as you possibly can. As new things come up, DOMINATE them, too. 5) Go buy the book “How to make $1000 a minute”. Terrible title, but an amazing book on salary negotiation. I’ve used it several times, and it always helps to re-read it before the money discussion. 6) Go into your review prepared. Be pleasant but also businesslike; you are your own agent. Talk about the metrics you’ve hit and deliverables you’ve nailed. Make sure that they’re in agreement that you’ve nailed the metrics or the next step doesn’t work. 7) Negotiate your new salary. Go read the book I mentioned - This is too long to cover in a post, but to give you one hint, absolutely do not say a number first. They should do that part. No point asking for $70K (I’m only guessing, I know you’re pretty early in your DOMINATING career) if they’re willing to give you $80. So let them say a number first. 8) Re-establish what you need to do to DOMINATE your work over the coming months. Do it. -SSF

Thanks for the tips brahs. Im gonna have a sit down with her this month to assess what I can do to accelerate, and talk money in December…

I’m bit late on this thread… but I felt like posting, so here’s one tactic from my book. Can you get someone to sponsor you? I mean If you can find someone who’ll be on nearly same (or higher) seniority level as hers, and take him/her in your confidence (like… helping him/her in getting laid) then it’ll be great. You can then discuss your expectations with him/her and then he/she will then discuss it with your boss. So when you’ll talk about money in dec then she (and also you) will not be in for any surprise. Your sponsor can even shower your praise on her and let here realize that how indispensable you are and she should give you a handsome raise to retain you, but that depends on your people skills, which I assume are very good. It’ll take more then usual sucking up to your sponsor, but people use this tactic.

Ako Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > didn’t let my frustration effect my > steller work performance. I guess you didn’t let it “effect” your grammar skills either.

brain_wash_your_face Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ako Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > didn’t let my frustration effect my > > steller work performance. > > I guess you didn’t let it “effect” your grammar > skills either. sorry i got a business degree and didnt go to a liberal arts school like you. thanks!!

Ako Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sorry i got a business degree and didnt go to a > liberal arts school like you. thanks!! Oh, that explains the stunted communication skills. That’s okay. You’re welcome.

Calm down ladies. This is the proverbial back office, not the real one.