How do you beat the rich kids?

I understand. Don’t worry, I haven’t taken offense. It’s just the way it is. And I’m glad I have the lot of you to steer me in the right direction. Yes, making this post was a bish move, but luckily, this place is totally anonymous aaaaaaand you’ll never figure out who I really am.

:slight_smile:

can you quantify mediocrity? like if you make under $200k/year?

PS: you can now send GIF’s through linkedin messenger… Game over rich kids, GAME over.

No, and I don’t want to get deep on how “money doesn’t buy happiness”. I think mediocrity is when an individual really could have done much better in life but “didn’t feel like it” or is just unhappy with life and doesn’t do anything about it, so in other words completely subjective. 200K a year means your in the top 5% anywhere. I think 165K per year is top 5% and 350K is top 1% now

Mediocrity - aka complacency.

https://qz.com/1211957/how-much-money-do-people-need-to-be-happy/

statistically, for the us, your happiness peaks at 105k income! it actually goes down slightly after that, hence the saying mo money is mo problems but only up to a certain point. they should revisit that rap song.

money does buy happiness though. Not saying it buys 100% but it sure helps because with money you have options and you can be a bit more comfortable and sometimes save time, which is more valuable than money (Time is always more valuable than money).

BUT it does make me happy that I have options…I can go nice or go standard …Having the options or the freedom makes me happier…Freedom to go to either Jersey Shore or Hawaii…Freedom to go eat steak at Columbus Circle or Dominos…Freedom to ski at Poconos or at Whistler for 10 days…Freedom to golf at local muni course or Whistling Straits…Freedom to buy tailored suits from Soho or Theory or just off the rack at Nordstrom…

He’s saying there’s diminishing marginal returns to utility that earning that extra 20Mil has on someone who’s already earning 100Mil. I cleared 51K last year at 25. And if my salary doubled this year when I’m 26, I would be HEAPS more happier, than I would be if my salary doubled from 200K to 400K. This actually has been studied (although again, quite subjective) and that last figure I heard was roughly $150K is where this phenomenon begins. Maybe his 105k figure is a little older.

nah ish the original source. it was from last year. ive read the report. many reports actually reported similar numbers far lower. around 75k. but infinity nails the point here, this was actually a classic quote in wall street money never sleeps. yes the crappier one!

“Money is not the prime asset in life, time is, and your time is just about up!”

with that said i think like the greed is good speech a lot more. the beauty of capitalism is the importance of efficiency. killing inefficient companies and chopping them up to be reused for something else with a higher roi. laying people off after mergers is also a better thing as it trims the inefficient!

its like in a forest where you ahve a bunch of old trees towering over everyone. these trees are sick, old and taking up all the gifts the sun can offer. every now and then you need a fire to destroy the old for the young and healthy to thrive. THE CIRCLE OF LIFE!!!

Says the guy who sells his time for money :stuck_out_tongue:

yup it’s called work…aka modern slavery without the chains and whips.

I agree completely, but would add, calculated risks are different from any risk.

There are studies that show diminishing levels of happiness from income and this needs to be adjusted for cost of living. But there is also research on the comparison effects and being poorer than your neighbors (even past that threshold) is not optimal. You ideally want to be the richest in your network and above the thresholds lol

Nepotism is a real problem in the world of finance. Some managers who want to curry favors from executive leadership may go out of their way to hire a less qualified individual who has ties to higher ups. In some firms people shrug their shoulders and say “it is what is” but it shouldn’t be that way. You can only control what you do on a daily basis. To reiterate what others have said…

-Be friendly and have an interest in what others do around the office (especially those that do your “dream” job)

-Come in earlier than others (gives the perception that you want to be there and are working hard)

-be indispensable to your current team or job role (knowing more than others and going out of your way to learn what others do not know)

If you are so frustrated at not being promoted and seeing less qualified candidates jump in front of you and can’t bring yourself to keeping a smile on your face on a daily basis, time to look elsewhere.

In every sector and industry in every country there is nepotism because everybody wants everything and “what I do is reasonable and what others do is unethical mentality.”

how does slagging someone off on a public forum make you more worthy?

also, just because you are better than someone at school doesn’t mean you’re better in business. kid may have had some advantages, good personality seems to be one of them, but it doesn’t mean he doesn’t bring his A game to work everyday. Do you know for a fact he’s been lazy for the past 4 years? Some people just bring it when life gets real. My advice to you is to stop being a bish and work hard, it’s not a 4 year race it’s 30 year career, lots of boom busts between now and then. And if your’e still whining like a lil kid, get on youtube and play Rocky’s speech to his son.

You’re actually defending some guy getting a killer high paying job without having to ‘work’ for it?

You must be in the same boat.

I’m one generation removed from being a farmer in the third world. I didn’t get shit except 3 decent meals a day and parents who cared.

Again you fail to answer why you think this guy hasn’t worked for it. Do you see him every day? Do you work with him?

I made this post because I’m jealous and pissed off - not because I hope he falls from grace and fails in his ventures. I think you’re completely missing that much.

But, to reinforce my opinions, I did the guys homework in college. I worked 3 days a week after lacrosse practice as an econ tutor - though I spent more time just doing peoples homework than I did “tutoring” them, because then I could get them out the door and get back to playing runescape on my laptop quicker. He rarely came to class, and never opened a book. I can say with a reasonable sense of confidence that he didn’t have the best grades.

This is a logical argument for me to make, because our entire ecosystem is built around the idea that college/university is to serve as the best proxy to someone’s work ethic. As it ranks their work ethic by GPA. This should not be news to you.

It is interesting in my office the guy making the most money had the worst grades and has the lowest amount of education. Yet he has maneuvered himself to the top and is making very good money and is only 35. He is lazy & disorganized and is not very operationally disciplined, that is why he has hired dogs like me for. I am envious of his position and how he did it though. It was part luck and the timing of opportunities. He has people skills and an ability to subtly position his value in everyone else’s minds. He has been able to land big clients and clients like him and his personality. I can’t fault him for that, only try and learn from him and try and do it myself.