How I went from Fail Band 3 to Pass in One Year

Southfloridaguy, Thanks a lot. My email is sanelijo@gmail I work in Boston and have been dreaming about Florida. What’s it like working in finance in Florida? Is Miami the big the finance city down there?

ShurmonMcCoy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Southfloridaguy, > Thanks a lot. My email is sanelijo@gmail > > I work in Boston and have been dreaming about > Florida. What’s it like working in finance in > Florida? Is Miami the big the finance city down > there? Shurmon, check your inbox. I haven’t worked in any US cities outside of Atlanta, GA and South Florida. From my experience working in both corporate finance and wealth management in South Florida, my opinion is that finance opportunities down here are quite dispersed and that private banking tends to predominate other finance jobs like private equity, hedge funds, fund asset management, and corporate finance. The weather is great but the pay may not be as high as more centralized finance hubs like London or NYC.

Bump. I will read this post every time I am depressed to motivate me. I have already started with Ethics.

Southfloridaguy, Thanks for sharing your thoughts and relative strategies. Your post is certainly a motivation to all who are on the home stretch of this program! I especially like your comments around “memorizing coldly the meaning of these higher frequency command words” --Wow! I couldn’t agree more!!

isn’t it a violation of standards

HI SFG, Thanks for sharing your learning and thoughts. I was in Band 3 this time. Messed up big time in morning session. One thing i needed to confirm, as you said that you wrote your AM session in Pencil , so wanted to confirm that is answering the morning session in pencil allowed, as i am more confortable and swift with pencils. Regards Akshat

SFG, thanks for sharing your story…622 hours is what I cannot reach… if you dont mind could you pls post your results here…? all>70%?

Also, when your guys refers to CFAI EOC questions, do you refer the end of chapter questions from the curriculum? Or Some additional books you will get if you take the review classes provided by CFAI? Thanks

CFAI EOC refers to end of chapter questions from the curriculum. I answered with pencil in the AM session and get passed this year.

coshair Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- all>70%? I don’t believe that happens at Level 3. Ever.

akshat Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > HI SFG, > > Thanks for sharing your learning and thoughts. I > was in Band 3 this time. Messed up big time in > morning session. > > One thing i needed to confirm, as you said that > you wrote your AM session in Pencil , so wanted to > confirm that is answering the morning session in > pencil allowed, as i am more confortable and swift > with pencils. > > Regards > > Akshat Hi akshat, I have not been the forum in recent weeks and just noticed that some replies to my topic came through recently such as yours. In regards to your question, yes answering the morning session in pencil is perfectly alright. However, I personally found my writing speed this past June to be somewhat slower using pencil that when I wrote the 2009 exam using pen.

coshair Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > SFG, > > thanks for sharing your story…622 hours is what > I cannot reach… > > if you dont mind could you pls post your results > here…? all>70%? coshair, sorry to be getting back to you now as I haven’t been on AF these past few weeks. I posted my results last month on one of the official results threads. I can tell you my morning session performance was across the map with four failed morning sections but I rocked the afternoon session with >70% in all but two sections. My belief is that the strong afternoon performance is what enabled me to pass.

southfloridaguy, thanks for sharing your tips. i’m so nervous for lvl 3 because so many of my friends who passed level 1 & 2 easily failed level 3 last year! was wondering if you could also share with me the past 2 years’ mock exams? my email is chiangamy @ gmail thanks so much!! and congrats again on passing!

pinkshrimp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > southfloridaguy, > > thanks for sharing your tips. i’m so nervous for > lvl 3 because so many of my friends who passed > level 1 & 2 easily failed level 3 last year! > > was wondering if you could also share with me the > past 2 years’ mock exams? my email is chiangamy @ > gmail > > thanks so much!! and congrats again on passing! PS, check your e-mail. Good luck.

thank you southfloridaguy. It’s good to see hard work pays off, you deserved this win!

I’ve got a sick feeling in my stomach about this test. 622 hours, that’s just incredible.

CT, Not to worry, I was more an outlier in terms of study hour commitment. The vast majority of candidates who successfully pass Level III seem to do so with much less time committed than me, and in many cases, perform better than I have on the exam.

Great, insightful post on exam strategy Southfloridaguy-maybe one of the better and more comprehensive posts I’ve seen. Lots of good tips to take away. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on passing as well. The mock exams, would you mind emailing them to me as well? Or can they be accessed off the website? I’d appreciate it, thanks! dwong2@connect.carleton.ca

Great Post SFG!!! thanks… I passed L1 and L2 with great marks using Schweser only. But I have been told that for L3 CFAI cirrculum is better… I too am full time employed and am cramped for time… My plan is to study from Schweser and do EOC… would this suffice??? I would appreciate your comment(s) P.S. Please send notes/mock to malikwaqas@gmail.com Good Luck to ALL of you

malikwaqas Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Great Post SFG!!! thanks… > > I passed L1 and L2 with great marks using > Schweser only. But I have been told that for L3 > CFAI cirrculum is better… I too am full time > employed and am cramped for time… My plan is to > study from Schweser and do EOC… would this > suffice??? I would appreciate your comment(s) > > P.S. Please send notes/mock to > malikwaqas@gmail.com > > Good Luck to ALL of you Malik, CFAI text may seem voluminous but I would suggest, at a minimum, supplementing Schweser/CFAI EOC with CFAI Readings 21, 22 and Fixed Income Study Sessions 9/10. Also you may want to scrub additional CFAI Readings that have no EOC and read through those as well. Check your e-mail as well, best of luck to you on the exam.