How long before the CFA is worthless....?

5 years for a charterholder means you’ve got at least 9 years experience. do you really think a portfolio manager with 9 years experience has time to study for another multiple choice test where they quiz you on stuff that’s 90% irrelevant to the real world? they will all tell the cfa institute to shove the designation and go fcuk themselves. why make people jump through arbitrary hoops? the process is fine as it is.

@super: if he wants to keep his charter then yes. Also I don’t know if grandfathering something like this in would work to well but I think make this a requirement going forward is reasonable as all new candidates would be going into it with eyes wide open with the ongoing commitment and requirements that it would take for them to keep up with their charter.

supersharpshooter Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > some people got really decked out in toronto, like > they’re going clubbing > > i even saw a guy writing with cufflinks on > > it’s pretty funny That will be very important when he shows the picture they took of him while he was taking the ex…oh, wait…

adavydov7 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > @super: if he wants to keep his charter then yes. > Also I don’t know if grandfathering something like > this in would work to well but I think make this a > requirement going forward is reasonable as all new > candidates would be going into it with eyes wide > open with the ongoing commitment and requirements > that it would take for them to keep up with their > charter. this is completely pointless. what is it going to accomplish? all it means is that new charterholders did slightly better than under the previous standard. it’s a waste of time, a big pain in the ass, and will make most people who don’t have 24hrs of free time a day completely abandon going after the designation.

Here’s my question: Why are you here?

Hey idiot. Do you have either a CFA or an MBA. No. so shut up.

JAAS, As long as CFAI is the only institution issuing Charters it will never be commoditize (that’s the 1,000,001th word in English). If Harvard was the only institution issuing MBA they would still be very valuable right now. Let’s not forget the this course is still pretty rough and the average candidate after seeing what the amount of work he/she has to put in just to cover the material often gives up right after reviewing quants. When I did L1 last year the room had about 100+ candidates but L2 this year had about 40 which includes L3 candidates. So the exams itself is another screening tool.

jaas Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I wrote in Toronto, and seriously thought wtf are > half of these ppl going to do with this > designation? This is a front office designation, > and I would question whether most of these people > have what it takes to be the face of a financial > organization. I am afraid that the CFA is going > the way of the MBA…and although I likely passed, > I wonder what will become of the designation when > I hear that registration is up 50% in 2.5 years. > When the street is flooded with a bunch of misfits > who have passed the exams but have absolutely no > work experience or ability to land a front office > job…how will that reflect on those of us who > are able to fulfill the practical requirement of > the designation… > > Long story short…make requirements at each > level to fulfill a practical component…and for > God’s sake…take a look at yourself! If you are > not a Type A personality…GO DO YOUR CA OR > MBA!.. > > Had to rant…sorry, needed to get that out… > Have a good summer :slight_smile: CFA is a front office designation? For some it is for some it’s not. It’s just 3 exams on bunch of college stuff. Ivy MBA is front office “designation”, not CFA. There are many people in accounting departments of many funds, pe firms etc. who have CFA. It’s not a big deal, if you fresh out of school or have time it should be a piece of cake.