How many candidates are actually investing own money??

Sometimes I invest your sister’s money too.

CFAcountry Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mine are with American Funds as of now…since i > work for an advisor i can get them at NAV which > definitly beats a sales charge of 5.75%. mixed > between international and domestic My family runs a small broker dealer/RIA firm here in Florida. It just so happens that the bulk of their client money is invested in the American Funds family. Spouse and I have several legacy retirement accounts invested with my parents and right now, all of those accounts are invested exclusively in New World Fund.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ok… even so, the problem is not that there is a > charge to move money within the same fund family. > The problem is that there are apparently some > funds with a sales charge of almost 6%. Who buys > this stuff? Capital Research and Management is one of the largest investment companies in the world. To answer your question regarding who is buying American Funds at a 5.75% load, the answer is lots of people who happen to be investing in the fund family for the first time with relatively little dollars.

southfloridaguy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ohai Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Ok… even so, the problem is not that there is > a > > charge to move money within the same fund > family. > > The problem is that there are apparently some > > funds with a sales charge of almost 6%. Who > buys > > this stuff? > > Capital Research and Management is one of the > largest investment companies in the world. To > answer your question regarding who is buying > American Funds at a 5.75% load, the answer is lots > of people who happen to be investing in the fund > family for the first time with relatively little > dollars. +1

hey guys, I invest mostly in Indian markets, being my home country, but have recently started investing in international markets… my latest pick is Bank of Ireland stock, trading at near all-time lows given the mess the country is in… my view is that the stock presents great value as it is the largest bank in the country and once the dust settles it could become a multi-bagger… would really appreciate views from everyone following the events??

To get answers to the issues discussed above, you guys may want to check out this book. http://www.amazon.com/Investment-Answer-Daniel-C-Goldie/dp/0982894708/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1292671433&sr=1-1 One of the authors is an CFA charterholder. The other is featured in the NYT article "Dying banker’s last instructions’ http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/27/your-money/27money.html?scp=1&sq=dying%20banker&st=cse

I’m investing strictly for purposes of funding business school living expenses. As you can imagine, my tolerance for risk is pretty low given my short time horizon (3-4 years) so I’m allocated 80/20 cash/equities.

bpdulog Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m investing strictly for purposes of funding > business school living expenses. As you can > imagine, my tolerance for risk is pretty low given > my short time horizon (3-4 years) so I’m allocated > 80/20 cash/equities. Living expenses, 3-4 years…id be 100% 4 yr fixed rate CD

If anyone paid any attention to the 2 1/2 feet of books they just studied for three years, they would be investing in Vangaurd index funds like me. Attempting to beat a market that has every inefficiency wrung out by millions of sophisticated investors is pure stupidity. Then again, if all the people on this thread invest like markCFAIL “I invest basically all of my savings, and i have raped the S&P the past two years… yah buddy” then maybe there is some exploitation to be had. My guess is that mark wont be raping anybody for more than a few years. Strong Form EMH is going to slap a violent sex offender’s ankle braclet on his ass any day now. ha ha, just kidding. . . . but seriously, Index Funds . . . . . . . . if you did the CFA you know better. . . . . . . but who wouldn’t be tempted to take extra risk after taking the risk of wasting 3 years on the CFA . . . . . was all that studying for nothing? . . . . …

I’m investing in the Indian markets via IPOs & FPOs. I look to invest in some IT & Banking stocks… CUrrently, the Indian markets are near all time highs and it’s always better to buy on corrections than at all time highs. Prefer growth & value stocks with a 5-10 year horizon.

montanidate Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ha ha, just kidding. . . . but seriously, Index > Funds . . . . . . . . if you did the CFA you know > better. . . . . . . but who wouldn’t be tempted to > take extra risk after taking the risk of wasting 3 > years on the CFA . . . . . was all that studying > for nothing? . . . . … I don’t believe in the strong-form EMH, so that colors my thinking. I believe that sustained outperformance by looking in inefficient parts of the market is, in fact, possible. I can’t trade equities anymore as part of my new job, so I’m stuck sitting on the stocks I bought before I was hired and waiting until they’ve reached my opinion of fair value (or the market for them improves). My overall allocation is probably something like 80% invested, 20% cash, but the 20% cash is my 6-months emergency fund. The invested portion is almost fully equities, though it’s predominantly through funds.