How many hours does one need to put into L2?

1750 hours??? approximately 5 hours per day for a year??? am i hearing it right?

dude, do you want the designation or not? LOL.

“1750 hours??? approximately 5 hours per day for a year??? am i hearing it right?” No no no. I didnt study for a full year. I think it was only 6 months. So I guess 10 hours a day. “Seems about right.” If there’s one positive about returning to take this awful test again that I should’ve passed the first time, its this. Thanks Turk.

1750 hours seems too excessive. Are you sure you studied 10 hours a day?

10 hours a day for 6 months? does someone pay you salary to study?

Did you pass putting in 1750 hours? Thats like 10 hours a day for 6 months?

Are you going to put on your resume “passed CFA L2 with 1750 hours of preparation”? I am sure that would show dedication to future employers. I am probably going with a more reasonable 400 hours. Oh, if I dream about CFA stuff does that count towards study time?

“10 hours a day for 6 months? does someone pay you salary to study?” Actually yes. Im part of a group selected by the NYSSA that gets paid to study in an effort to gauge the performance of those with a monetary reward for passing against those that only get a piece of paper saying they passed, which we all know is valueless.

caspian could have taken the exam three or four times. If you devide 1750 by 3 or 4, it does not sound that bad.

I’m not so sure how great that would look on a resume.

You guys, Caspian is playing with you. He passed L1 in Dec. 06, so of course he didn’t study for 1750 hours…unless you count all his time on this forum as studying :slight_smile:

I studied for about 110 hours (10 hrs per week x 11 weeks) and failed Level I in Dec 06, but I was pretty close to passing. (Looking back on it now, that sounds pretty foolish.) Then I studied for another 128 hours or so (8 hrs per week x 16 weeks) and barely passed in Jun 07. That’s a total of 238 hours with some hours wasted because of changes in the curriculum from 2006 to 2007. So I would say that CFAI’s estimate of 250 hours is believable but maybe on the low side. I would say 300 hours is safe. That’s what I’m planning to do for Level II (now that I have finished grad school). I think that 4 or 5 months to prepare is enough, if you’re serious about passing. This is assuming you have a full time job. If you have absolutely nothing else to do, you could conceivably prepare in 1 month. (250hrs / 30 days = 8.3 hrs/day) I don’t think I would recommend that to anyone though. LobsterBoy

Mmmm, 3 or 4rrr…

Another way is to 1) Read / complete /review/memorize/cram the material as quick as possible and 2) take an exam which is the real indicator. if you pass 3 exams back to back with more than 80%, you are ina safe zone, but still you have 20% more to prepare… if not rinse and repeat step 1 and 2 until you get >80% on 3 exams

Good luck getting over 80% on your first practice exam for Level II.

Haha, this thread is great. I’m glad things don’t change much from the L1 to the L2 forum. I think I’ll be at home here.