How Miserable Is Investment Banking?

Disclaimer:

· I work in a US BB in NY as an analyst in a hybrid IB/S&T group (colleagues of mine would know)

· I went from intern to analyst in another city, and then to NY a year afterwards

· Did finance undergrad at average school

I think 90% of what’s been posted above is complete bullzhit. I also think posters that are/have been in IB or any other analyst role in a BB did it merely because of one of the following; 1. Prestige, 2. Jump to the buyside (AKA exit opps), 3. Money, or 4. Because they just follow the herd. To me all of these are the wrong reasons to be in IB, or any other job for that matter. You should only get into a job this demanding for the knowledge it will provide you with. Period. There is no prestige in IB –don’t be so f-ing stupid. It is just a job. “Moving to the buy side.” Grow some balls and start investing yourself –that “I-want-to-invest-OPM-&-still-get-paid” won’t take you anywhere. There’s very little money in IB at the analyst/associate level –you’d be better off driving Uber and living with your folks. And finally, stop following the herd and think for yourself.

I think IB in itself is comparable to going to a top undergrad/MBA/Phd program. The only unequivocal way to find intrinsic meaning in it is to do it for the knowledge. But you may ask yourselves, what knowledge is there in IB? And the answer to that is “as much as you want there to be”. On my end, this job has brought me to a whole other level on how I think about assets, investing, and the financial system in general. The thought of my job being miserable has never crossed my mind. Working hard (long hours) is something that either goes with you or it doesn’t. I’d work 12 hours a day even if I were retired. I don’t differentiate between my “work” and my “life” –to me there’s just life. And as long as I can wake up and keep grinding, I say it’s balanced.

^ Thank you for saying absolutely nothing in your post. Do it for knowledge, dafuq!? Go to school for knowledge; go to work to get paid. Period.

^ Most people don’t go to school for knowledge. They go for prestige/future opps/future income/partying. It’s very hard to see meaning on that 15 page american history essay if you think that way. Likewise, execution materials for a transactions will just be pieces of paper for someone that’s jsut waiting for that paycheck to come every other week. In IB in NY, there’s very little extra left every month -doing it to get paid is a very stupid thing. Besides, I said peple did it merely because of those reasons. Sure they count, but your main goal should be to learn. Most of my peers would agree with me that they are here for the learning, and like myself, they enjoy what they do.

^right on, bro! Thats the type of mindset that I expect from my analysts so that they can power through 100 hours a week with ease.