How to ask for a change in title?

Our Assistant Treasurer (AT) who handled all of our FX hedging was recently laid off. I worked with the AT as the FX analyst helping to do trades, managing our FX exposures and creating reports. I have been in Treasury for over a year now and with the company for about 1.5 years. Now that the AT is gone I am now managing all of our FX hedging, trading and exposures by myself for about the past month which has gone very smoothly. So basically I have taken on much more additional responsibilities and accountability but am still at the same “analyst” title. Times are tough and we have told there will be no raises / bonuses this year. I want to ask for a title change to something like “FX Manager” similar to how other corporations have set up. My reason for wanting a title change is just to show upward career progression and an increase in responsibilities. Any advice on how to do this with tact? Thanks -fxguy1234

Do you really have a new position or are you just filling in for a short time? If your new responsibilities are going to continue and are meaningfully different than others in your old role, I think a change in title makes sense. If I were you, I might just continue doing a good job for 2 more months and then pursue a title change with the powers that be. I don’t think there is any harm in asking for it but at the end of the day I wouldn’t make a big deal out of it either.

JustPass Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Do you really have a new position or are you just > filling in for a short time? Not so much of a completely new position as just increased responsibility and the fact that it is just me running the show now, as before it was the one of the AT’s responsibilities and I would help. The CFO actually made a point about how I am now in charge of all of our FX trading in a recent meeting. And no, there will not be anyone else brought in to replace the departed AT. So this is a permanent change. > > If your new responsibilities are going to continue > and are meaningfully different than others in your > old role, I think a change in title makes sense. Agreed. > > If I were you, I might just continue doing a good > job for 2 more months and then pursue a title > change with the powers that be. I don’t think > there is any harm in asking for it but at the end > of the day I wouldn’t make a big deal out of it > either. My thoughts too. I want to make sure I prove myself before I go asking for this. My question is how to sell this to my boss without looking like a choad? because at the end of the day the “title” doesn’t matter as much as the actual responsibilities. To be blunt, I just want the change so it looks like I am moving up on my resume and for B school applications. A title change is probably the most obvious way to accomplish this and convey this to the uninformed. Thanks for the input.

If he’s a reasonable guy, there should be no issue if you are the LT replacement. Unlike a raise, it won’t cost them any money, but it will go a long way in making you happy.