How to deal with a difficult manager?

You can do 1) and 2)

give his wife the fatso

If you’re going to apply to business school, don’t you need someone to write you a good reference? If you have others that will vouch for you, that’s a nice option. However, the best thing you can do is just to go look for another job. It’ll certainly be your path to least resistance because you’ll need to wait almost another year before you find out about whether you get into an MBA program, in all likelihood.

It will be nice to pass Level 3, and hopefully you have time to work on that. I guess since that’s right around the corner, maybe you just go balls to the wall on studying for the exam then switch gears to search for another job.

Frankly, it seems very unlikely that you’d get fired from your job since this guy clearly needs you and he’d be equally hellish for anyone else to work with. But, it’s really up to you how overtly you want to search for other jobs.

Thank you all for your feedback. Going to give L3 my best shot and then start job-search/networking/volunteering etc.

@Numi - good point about the business school reference - I have a few good mentors (that unfortunately I’ve lost touch w/but am sure I can leverage them…) - I guess after I give L3 in June, do job search for a few wks and get my L3 results, next steps regarding MBA/vs how the job market is will be more clear…

My coworker just got into Columbia FT after starting in BO.

how? What else does he have on his resume?