How to pass Level 3

+100 style points. Classy post. Thanks, trimonious2

Thanks for the tips. After I registered the level 3 exam few hrs ago, I’ve been googling to find out about level 3 exam, and your post helped me a lot to plan how to study. Good luck for the exam result!!

Thanks for the detailed post. It was helpful. I agree with your views, especially the ones when you said that if you don’t follow the question, you can probably deduce what it means from the options. This was very useful for me in both L1 and L2. And now with this thing missing, the AM session will be slightly difficult for me I guess. Well, this time I’ll practice writing a lot while I study. (I’m a poor note maker) :slight_smile:

bless you sir - good luck on the 7th!

ua_bender - stfu. someone takes out the time and effort to write a detailed post on something really important to all of us here based on his experiences and you’re harping on about how he should include factors like marital status and what not into consideration before giving out advice?

Hey Trim,

Your post is a real godsend for the CFA L3 newbies (me included) about how to take baby steps to L3 prep.

I am in complete agreement with everyone elses’s comments (except ua_bender’s juvenile remarks which sure as hell didn’t really warrant any apology from you) on your advice and particularly the response that your post is perhaps the most detailed one has ever come across on this forum.

I am sure that Aug 7 will see you uncorking the bubbly. Good luck.

Cheers

Unni

Thanks for all the feedback. I hope this helps you all. And thank you all for the good vibes - here’s hoping some of them bend the universe a little my way on August 7.

ua-bender, you are entitled to your opinion and, having done half my university degree in a foreign land in a second language, I sympathize entirely with those who are doing the CFA in a second language. You are certainly correct on that front (although we can disagree on whether I should have bothered with my post). I can’t imagine trying to dissect ethics questions in a foreign language when so much depends on nuance.

I’ve just updated the post to include a note on topic weightings which can also trip people up from level to level. Congratulations to all of you who passed the monster of L2!

trimonious2 - Thanks a ton! I am going to take a print of this and stick it up there on my study table. All the very best for your results mate!

ua_bender… what a knobhead? lol. It makes no sense what you said.

Lol guys lay off on ua_bender…he did make valid points. How well you approach the exam depends on many issues that are not related to the exam at all ( work load, marital status , personal dispositions, etc) and therefore is very unique to each individual. Since he is from Afghanistan I am guessing his first language isn’t English which probably means he encountered linguistic difficulties when absorbing the material and expressing himself in the AM section of L3, something which people for whom English is foreign must come to terms with. These are fair issues that compliment the nice post by OP…

Thank you for the advice. Best of luck to trimonious2 on 7 Aug

It’s always good when someone takes the time to help others…, so kudos to you, trimonious2.

While I disagree with ua_bender that nobody will benefit from trimoniuous2’s write-up, I do agree that the process of learning and preparation for any exam is unique for each candidate depending on so many different factors including the ones ua-bender mentioned.

Congrats to all those who recently passed L2, and welcome to the L3 board.

good point around pass rate. Surprisng that only 50% passes - considering these people have manged L1 & L2. It must be differnt nature of the exam - writing down answer vs. picking 1 out ot 3 asnwers, writing, time management etc. that trips people up.

Tks for the heads up… That is a great insight.

I am about to sign up fo L3.

The am session sounds like the decider, is it known how much weighting is given to the morning vs afternoon session?

I have heard tales of candidates breezing through the pm, with a relief that all is over…seems unlikely?

180 points in the AM, 180 points in the PM.

So what do you mean about weighting?

There is a score you get (absolute) which is then curved / straightened whatever - and then a decision made on pass vs. fail. It remains the same as at all other levels. Get a good score and you will pass.

That is all I can say.

And there is something i wanted to add.

1. There is a high price on “how much you know” and “how easily you are able to recall connected parts of the curriculum”.

2. This however could end up being counterproductive. You may know a lot - write a lot in the AM - and not have enough time to finish the AM - and leave points on the table.

Thanks for all of the insight, guys. I just registered for L3 and was wondering if there is any concensus on the best third party study materials provider for this level? I have used Schweser for L1 and L2 but was pretty disappointed with the L2 materials (although I guess I passed, so what the hell am I complaining about).

I’m sure there are other posts on this already, but can anyone help me out?

Tks for the response cpk123, I had no idea about the split between am/pm, hence my question…Every day is a school day with the CFA and now I feel slightly wiser…cheers!

We were all green at one time.

Focus on learning the material first. Then deal with stategizing the morning exam in the final couple months. There’s no way to prepare for that this far out.

In terms of strategizing, there’ll be a number of folks here who will help you understand the frame of mind you need to have. Then be sure to do all five CFAI prior exams. Yes, all five, or more if you can find them. Study those answer keys and note that there’s a lot of debate around here (and inconsistencies across the years) as to how certain things get handled. Then realize that there’s no way to truly become a master at this game.

Seems to be too many guys from Afghanistan, was it the first choice in Countries when you create the AF profile?

I don’t think trimonious said “my way or highway” so ua_bender’s objections hold very little relevance.

I’m not sure why we’ve stopped celebrating the level 2 pass and people are buying books already. I reckon create a link to this and keep celebrating until it’s time to study again. It’s been two days since the results came out and when you get deep into the curriculum then you’ll wish you had partied more at this time. Thx Trimonius…hero, legend, but above all, a gentlemen.