How to properly network

She is writing a professional email in the same way/language style as she would be chit-chatting with a girlfriend in the ladies room?

She is willing to forfeit a good position because it may get in a way of getting a boyfriend?!?

I hope this is fake!

She is writing a personal email about dating to someone she met during an accounting recruitment event. If you ask me, accountant + accountant is too much…

Am I the only one confused about why she’s seeking equity research work at an accounting firm?

haha. I’ve actually known tons of accountants who date other accountants, even in the same firm. I think part of it is you have no life, so you have to go fishing in the company pond. Second, most accountants are a little bit off, so it only makes sense that you have a better likelihood of matching with another person who is a bit off vs. somebody more normal.

I’m definitely not good at networking. It just seems so insincere and cheesy. I hate acting a certain way towards someone just because I wan’t something from them. I rather be genuine with people and not put on this cheesy attitude and kiss ass. But i realize that’s not good for networking. How can I get over this feeling towards networking? Or how can i network without feeling like a cheesy schmuck?

+1. i cant be fake. i would just feel like a tool so i cant do it

i think it’s a guy.

the big 4 churn and burn model is pretty brutal. a mate of mine from uni took a grad job in a small city out of desparation, starting salary was £18k.

i think it depends on the type of networking events you go to, if you go to a job fair then yes, it can be awkward to “compete” with big pools of job seekers for potential employers’ attention.

But if it’s an industry event, or university event, or a casual event, it’s not so bad, you can always find something to talk about because you have something in common with other people there one way or another. And you are not looking for anything from them, just meeting people and perhaps learning something new from them.

I quite enjoy it actually! :slight_smile:

I don’t think it has to do with the profession, i think a lot of people date within their industries and companys only because that’s where they spend most of their time. Doctors date other doctors or nurses, lawyers date other lawyers, teachers date divorced parents… it’s not strange at all.

^It adds some allure too. The fact that you are not supposed to date a co-worker probably adds to the attraction.

a friend of mine is a doctor and when I met his new gf realized she was a hot 24 year old nurse. He’s only around 30 but he admitted it was a little stereotypical, older male doctor, hot younger nurse, but didn’t care, he likes her.

This