How/Where did you acquire fin. modelling skills?

ugradCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’d rather learn from a well known source than > just free-balling my way to modelling knowledge :stuck_out_tongue: > I’ll go down that route once I’ve gotten some > practice from a structured source of learning. > Also, I would imagine saying you learned modelling > from XYZ book and applying your knowledge to QED > transactions is a lot more professional than > saying you downloaded random models off the net > and just trial-and-error’ed your way through > everything. The link was provided so people can have access to see how a basic LBO.FCF.DCF is constructed. Not to list on a resume saying “Nuppal, from Analyst forum supplied me a link in which I gained invaluable modeling skills”

Agree with purealpha. Books are no substitute, neither are case studies. Modeling is learned by working on real live transactions. Life is trial and error, that’s one of the primary reasons firms look for transaction experience on a resume. You can use templates as a guide to build your own models, but I believe it’s important to build your own, this way you will understand all the details. Just start by building a basic annual bs, cfs, and is proforma with a simple set of assumptions then expand on it…

Sorry guys all I said was I’d prefer to learn from a book because I feel it is a better talking point than saying I learned modelling by finding models off the net and examining them. Then I asked for a book suggestions. I’ve done modelling during my undergrad and know the basics about forecasting, making assumptions etc. I thought a modelling book would improve my primitive skills to a professional standard. After I’m done with whatever book I use I would hope to have learned more and could make more sophisticated modelling, THEN I would go out and find models and model current/past transactions. As to my original question, I noticed that the first 200-odd pages of the Beninga book is about company valuation, DCF etc but the rest is about excel with respect to securities and portfolios. Is there a comprehensive book about financial modelling that mainly focuses on pure investment banking areas such as M&A, PE/VC (especially this) and corporate finance (ECM/DCM)?

Just go to Borders, get a coffee and sit there with your comp for a few weekends. You won’t learn how to effectively model, however, you will learn how to build one is a very basic fashion. I am learning this week, actually, that academic models and real world models are basically opposites.

Maybe I’m not as entrepreneurial as you guys. I would prefer to learn from a structured environment before moving into my own independent research. I don’t currently have the base of knowledge to decompose financial models and make it a meaningful experience, just as if I were to pick up a book on stochastic calculus. It would be more efficient for me to initially learn from a book and go from there. So please, a book recommendation that is focused purely on IB modelling would be great? One with ‘suggested’ accounting manipulations and recommendations would be a big plus.

On the catwalk in a Brioni Suit. Yea I am in finance and I model, so what?

Pixel, May I inspect your concavities with out your permission? Thanks, Nups

Investment Banking: Valuation, Leveraged Buyouts, and Mergers and Acquisitions (Wiley Finance) http://www.amazon.com/Investment-Banking-Valuation-Leveraged-Acquisitions/dp/0470442204/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260552302&sr=8-1

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am learning this week, actually, that academic > models and real world models are basically > opposites. Yep that’s why the stuff isn’t taught in school or CFA, it is a real world thing yo. Those CFAI guys would never condone the sh!t we do in the real world.