Humans getting dumber, scientists warn

I haven’t been following this thread for ahwile, but obviously the species cannot outrun our decline in genetic IQ with “behavioral interventions”. Think it thru please.

Nope, it’s because men have massively more IQ outliers. There’s no way, and no reason, to sweep this under the carpet. It’s just reality. These people, with beyond-normal-human pattern recognition skills, dominate any field they enter (math, painting, guitar, finance, cooking, engineering, you name it). Desire isn’t enough to be the best in the world. But yes, testosterone/drive PLUS ultra high intelligence is a more complete explanation why men are at the top of all fields. It makes sense from the evolutionary perspective to have a few males like this (Einstein, Socrates, Bill Clinton, yes I said Bill). But there would be no real purpose in having a few genius gatherer/childmakers, which is likely why that didn’t evolve. Anyhow, this is a tangent. It’s relevant in that intelligence is genetic, and drive/training/education/etc is nothing in the face of species wide decline in genetic intelligence. You can prop it up for awhile with bullshit, but eventually it ends in Idiocracy. [Sports is obviously physical and thus a completely different topic]

like in The Time Machine by HG Wells?

Just as we haven’t been able to outrun our declining eyesight with any kind of technological adaptations like glasses, night vision goggles, radar, sonar, remote cameras, lathroscopy, endoscopy, etc…

If you need any proof that humans are getting dumber, just compare the threads on this site 10 years ago to today.

I agree with you that men are more intelligent than women. But that’s only because nature has it that way. Intelligence without a purpose is meaningless. Intelligence with a desire or purpose will do great things. Some will do bad things with desire. When was the last time you hear a school shooting involving a female shooter? Never. Women aren’t meant to be more intelligent than men. They have more intuition and affection. But not more intelligence. What I disagree is that not all men with ‘beyond-normal human pattern recognition skills’ can dominate any field. You cannot turn a mathematician into a poet. That is why some people don’t like what they do. Some people are more suited for plumbing but they want an MBA and do finance. And some finance guys should definitely go do plumbing cause that’s where they belong. There is an explanation imo. Check out an iceberg. Humans only know how to use the visible part of their brain. Some use only a fraction of it. But look at all that potential underneath.

Okay, but now you changed the topic. I’m a staying on topic anti-ADHD kind of guy, perhaps it’s all the meat?

We were talking about the link posted; doing crosswords or whatever the hell to exercise your brain. That’s great and all, the masses eat it up, but doing mental exercises to combat a slow decline in genetic intelligence is a losing battle.

Now, I believe, you are talking about what? Cyborgs, genetic engineering, various ways of using technology to counteract the decline? Okay great. Maybe. But, hasn’t happened yet.

Actually this was covered in the movie Idiocracy; “scientists were supposed to find a way to reverse the decline, but they were too busy working on penile implants or hair loss”, LOL.

Sure. But the point of the thread is – a decreasing potential.

Using a bigger piece of a decreasing pie is still a losing deal, in the long run. Wiser to just stop the things which are decreasing the pie PLUS use more of the pie (perhaps by employing tech).

Yet more evidence humans are getting dumber.

This from Stanford, which I haden’t seen before, looking at the genes. Really everything now; macro analysis of the homo genus time-line, micro analysis of genes, and testing of modern humans, tells us we are getting dumber, only the human ego says otherwise. ----------------------------- “New developments in genetics, anthropology and neurobiology predict that a very large number of genes underlie our intellectual and emotional abilities, making these abilities genetically surprisingly fragile. Analysis of human mutation rates and the number of genes required for human intellectual and emotional fitness indicates that we are almost certainly losing these abilities…” “I would wager that if an average citizen from Athens of 1000 BC were to appear suddenly among us, he or she would be among the brightest and most intellectually alive of our colleagues and companions, with a good memory, a broad range of ideas, and a clear-sighted view of important issues. Furthermore, I would guess that he or she would be among the most emotionally stable of our friends and colleagues.” “We, as a species, are surprisingly intellectually fragile and perhaps reached a peak 2,000 to 6,000 years ago”…If selection is only slightly relaxed, one would still conclude that nearly all of us are compromised compared to our ancient ancestors of 3,000 to 6,000 years ago.” http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/human-intelligence-peaked-thousands-of-years-ago-and-weve-been-on-an-intellectual-and-emotional-decline-ever-since-8307101.html