Hypothetical expected salary

ahhhhhhhhh. yes. San Fran isn’t a bad all. I’ve only visited once but I totally loved it. if someone told me that i had to move there, i would go in a heart beat. i’m not a fan of driving on those ridiculous hills. i guess its all about past experiences and expectations. i was lucky to “inherit” a decent place at a really good rate (somerville) from a college friend who moved down south. close enough to make it into the city whenever i want and cheap enough to go out whenever i want. i would LOVE to live in beacon hill/back bay, but i’m happy where i’m at for now. plus i work downtown so i’m here all the time anyway. at the beginning of the summer last year, i would go to the commons on my lunch break to study. loved that. i don’t have the added responsibilities of a family either. Its tough for the people that commute in on the rail… don’t want to miss the train and have to wait for the next one.

I don’t know if the “back office written all over me” or the “is fund accounting more boring than performance analysis” are put downs or sarcasm but yes performance analysis is much more exciting than fund accounting but it is pretty boring and I am hoping to get into something more exciting.

sickel, I’m not sure exactly what you’re looking to do… Analyst role? If you’re happy with performance analysis or something close, I think there’d be plenty of jobs here in Boston for you at liveable salaries. It might be hard to get into a Research Associate type of role with your current background (if that’s what you’re going for), but not impossible. Nolabird… Didn’t realize you were local. I think I was just spoiled by SF, despite the fact that the hills killed my car’s transmission. Thanks for reminding me of the good things the city has to offer. Don’t listen to Mr.Good.Guy and his snide comments. He is a bitter, bitter man.

I have lived in NYC for 12 years and is now living in Boston. Housing in Boston is comparable in price with Brooklyn and Queens areas if you don’t live in the heart of the city. Food in Boston, on average, is 20-30% more expensive than NYC, based on my observations and experience. I was offered for my entry level job out of college 1k lower than the people working for the same firm in the NYC office (I was offered 63k as opposed to 64k). So my company really didn’t make such a huge cost of living adjustment for positions in Boston. If you work for a large firm, I doubt that they will pay you much lower than your counterparts in NYC (2-5% less perhaps).

a few things- have been in boston now for 10 years. you can live in a sh(thole in allston/brighton or somewhere on a bus not T line in a 4br for not ridiculous, but once we’re talking any sort of post-frat guy standard of living, boston is an expensive town. way more expensive than DC. maybe DC on some survey in 2005 when housing prices were ridiculous, but how’s that working out for people who bought then? boston is a lot bigger than dallas, miami. i think it’s similar feel-wise and cost-wise to san fran. yes, a bit colder temps and people… but only until you’re here and one of them. then it’s like a wonderful little place where everyone drives PERFECTLY. i hate driving anywhere else. i have grown to love the way people drive here. sports, amazing. jobs in finance, not bad. someone said all of the banks- state, BBH, etc… lots of mutual fund firms also… lots of middle of the road sell side jobs for sure. i’d pin you at a 60-75k range right now in boston. figure out which of those companies mentioned already pay well and which ones pay not so well… there’s a big difference b/t pay at let’s say your position at a state vs at, i dunno, wellington. there are some HF jobs here and/or some big private equity firms, but without some kind of connection, those might be difficult to get into. good luck w/ your search and enjoy the pats/celts, that is, until red sox season when the fun begins yet again.