I hate the word Deliverable

I think you are confusing practicality with general perception. It doesn’t matter if there are circumstances where the word “deliverable” is useful. If you use that word regularly, you will be perceived to be a douche bag. There might not even be a logical reason behind this perception, but that’s just the way general perception of the term has evolved.

If, for instance, I show up to work every day in Nantucket Reds, I’m pretty sure people will label me as a douche. From an objective perspective, there is no real reason that a certain color of pants is better or worse than other colors.

“If you use that word regularly, you will be perceived to be a douche bag.” - To the heart of the matter.

Well, I’m happy to work with a simple “what do you need from me?” but if the guy won’t define it sufficiently, I’m going to ask them to specify a deliverable and get out of my hair.

Obviously none of you clowns understands how consulting works so I am going to explain it to you. In your job, you have a employment at will deal. Either you or your employer can end it at any time. You do not have a contract that speculates what your obligations are to your employer in terms of what you produce on some sort of a time scale.

When you consult with a client, you draft an agreement that outlines:

1. compensation
  2. rights to ownership. Meaning what I produce is the property of the client
  3. privacy
  4. dates
  5. scope of work or “deliverables.” i have seen both in contracts. you want to outline specificly what is expected during the time period that the contract is valid. you don’t want your client adding extra work after the project begins that you are not billing for.

There is other stuff in there but it isn’t necessary for this conversation.

Hmmm… maybe ohai is right. There seems to be a high correlation between insisting on the word “Deliverables” and sounding like a douchebag.

Too late, Blake! Even if the origins of “deliverable” are legitimate in consulting, the word has now been hijacked by douchebags of all fields. “Deliverables” can now be tossed into the same bucket as single speed bicycles, Bluetooth headsets, working on your computer at Starbucks, and the name “Julian”.

It’s ok to use a computer at Starbucks as long as it isn’t a Mac. And anyone who owns a Mac in general is a d-bag. Anyone in general who rides a bike who also has a driver’s license is a d-bag. Anyone who owns a bike that cost more than my first car $2100 is a super d-bag.

I wlll also add the following names to that list:

Todd, Gavin, Simon, Carl, Lance, Jamie (male), Gordon, Brock, Wendell, Mario, Preston, and unfortunately Blake

I’ve only ever seen the word in the context say of a bond option where several alternative bonds can be delivered, and you work out the cheapest to deliver etc