I Heart Options

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Libre clearly needs to get into the flow of things > on AF and take the hostility somewhere else. > > Anyway, cjones - > > You have to say what it is about options that > interest you. > > Seems to me that some of the areas in which > options are important are: > > a) Risk management - Options are used all the time > by banks, energy companies, agricultural firms, > investment management places to hedge risk. This > is not about making market calls, but about > ferreting out the risks and deciding what the > cheapest and optimal way to hedge them is. For > this FRM/PRM is a good way to further your study > of options. For a career, just check out risk > management ops. > > b) Trading vol - You can use options to make > leveraged bets on things but I think this is > rarely right. Trading options is about making > directional bets with a big volatility component. > These jobs are hard to get because everyone thinks > they can do them. You would probably need to > start under someone’s wing. Connections are key > here. > > c) Financial engineering - There is some pretty > geeky mathematics in option pricing (not just > Black Scholes). I think option pricing is a key > driver of financial mathematics programs (and > stochastic calc). If Black-Scholes really did it > for you and you have a strong math background, > this might be the way to go. > > d) Trading options like IronMan - Well, this might > be fun to watch but is not a viable career path > > e) Selling options on an orders desk - This is > about contacting the CBOE firms. This is not a > very exciting job, but it’s a way of making > contacts and being in the industry. f) arbitrage trading - this is what I got into. it seemed like a chess game to me. lots of strategy involved here

^ good addition…

I hope the poor guy stuck around long enough to see his thread actually materialize into something valuable and informative…good info from all, well, mostly all… I’m heading home to work on my options Option 1: Amstel Light Option 2: Tiger Woods 2009 on xbox360 Might have to put on a collar…

My XBox broke. Again. I’m sick of sending it back to MSFT. I think I’m retiring from XBox gaming. That machine is the worst piece of crap in the world.

say it aint so joe. But if it is, maybe we can open up a dialogue about unwinding those games that you have on your hands…

I’m just temporarily bitter. It’s part of my brinksmanship with my XBox. We play games.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My XBox broke. Again. I’m sick of sending it > back to MSFT. I think I’m retiring from XBox > gaming. That machine is the worst piece of crap > in the world. And to think you’ll now be missing out on the new Xbox Live experience… mmm… streaming Netflix on my TV. Not to mention COD: WaW. I cannot wait for 12/6… that not I’ll be getting hammered but the next day I’m devoting a solid 12hrs to my sexbox.

So why can’t they make an XBox that I can turn on and not worry about the red ring of death?

Okay, got it, I overreacted and made a fool out of myself. No excuses. Apologies again. Thanks to all for the responses, as I believe I was at least as interested in the response as cjones.

i watched some 30 Rock on my xbox last night thru netflix/xbox live…oh baby is that ever sweet. As an opportunity to totally thread hijack: if anyone is a halo3 or tiger woods golfer and wants to game it up you can hit up my gamertag: tjv8

JDV: haven’t you seen all the red ring cures on youtube? just bundle up your box in a blanky for a while and turn it on. MSFT has this sick joke that it their 9.6Ghz overheating superbasturd works better when its hot… makes sense to me!