If Federer had any pride left he would retire

A guy reaching 36 consecutive quaterfinals and you say he isnt living upto expectations… Just need to adjust the expectation a bit??

I want him to go on and on and on, doesnt matter whether he wins a GS again or not…

Does anyone know if somebody else plays single handed backhand these days… Dont know why, I find no elegance in that double handed backhand :slight_smile:

I loved Edberg, Boris B, Pistol Pete and now Fed… Looks like that tradition would be gone :frowning:

I’m not comparing the 2. I’ve always been a Fed fan but I am not an apologist like most of you on this thread. Time to save face and pack it up. Let people remember you for your greatness. Too few athletes leave on top.

Fed has another slam left in him. He obviously loves the game so why should he retire? He is not Sampras (who started to hate the game with the mental and physical grind taking its toll). Federer is not that guy - he can play well into his thirties.

As long as he believes he can continue to win tennis tournaments, why would you want to give it up? Athletes hate to retire because they know that they will never experience the highs of professional sports ever again. If you retire on top, you always have that element of regret that you could have won more!

When Federer retires, he sould announce it way ahead of time so that everybody can catch one last glimpse of one of the all time greats. He should do a fairwell tour (he is a once in a lifetime talent).

I predict Djokovic wins US Open this year!

I want to see Gulbis go deep. So much raw talent, just like Safin.

Well this just opens up the path for Jame Blake to finally win it all. Am I right my fellow Americans???

Blake just went down in straights sets to aussie wanker Tomic

I’d like to see Natalie Gulbis go deep too.

With Tsonga out too this has to be the easiest GS tournament for Djoker ever.

Agreed, and it should be a two-year tour or so, just like that of Luciano Pavarotti.

I saw Pavarotti on his farewell tour. Well worth it.

murray-djoker final with murray to win.

I have some plans to see his first round match in Aussie open next year, So hopefully it materializes… Missed watching him at the US open in 2007… Ended up watching 4th round match of Djoker vs Del Potro then… I will repent if he retires in 2013 itself :frowning:

Now at #7 and falling. He used to intimidate his opponents just by tying his shoes.

He is showing how not to wind down your career.

While many of you still thought he had a few more years left as a top player, I saw the writing on the wall. And yes, I do blow my own horn.

For those wanting him to do a 1 year farewell tour (or gasp 2 years), you better get your tickets for the early rounds because he is getting bounced earlier every tourney.

^ True…and when the time comes and he is still playing, I will start a similar thread.

I am objective unlike you Federer apologists. Just because I think he should retire doesn’t mean I am pro Nadal. I am simply pro people leaving on top of their game. Fed is a legend and should not be remembered as a grandpa that sticked around too long.

I think it’s great that he is still playing. He might win again. With nadal effectively dead Wimbledon is up for grabs next year.

With all the talk about Federer, I was surprised there has hardly been a whisper about his fellow compatriot Stanislas Wawrinka. Did anyone see the match today?! I wish I did, but he really put the kibosh on Andy Murray’s run to defend his U.S. Open title by winning 6-4, 6-3, 6-2. I mean, it’s not even close! Hopefully I can find that match on replay somewhere.

He looked excellent against Berdych in the fourth round too.

Most likely he’ll be playing against Djokovic in the semifinals, though Youzhny has a surprisingly decent head-to-head record against Djokovic. And though historically Wawrinka hasn’t matched up well against Djokovic, he did take the Joker to five sets at the Australian Open…should be interesting.

Shoot, Murray is out?!? I was hoping to see him vs Djokovic.