if tony romo had any pride left he would retire

Ah, Big 12 football. Where defense is optional.

So happy college football is back this weekend. It’s the one sport where I have no rooting interests (I went to Umass-Amherst and they could definitely be the worst team in FBS this year)… makes Saturdays a lot more enjoyable as I just always root for close games that end in chaos. Honestly it seems to happen every weekend in some form or another.

A&M could relocate to Mars and I would still hate them. I’ve not looked at the actual schedule for this weekend, but I understand it’s one of the best opening weekends in CFB history, with a ton of conference games and ranked teams playing each other.

FWIW, I’m not a fan of the type of football that is now dominant in the Big 12. I would much rather see pounding running games paired with defenses that punish anyone who touches the ball. 50-42 games aren’t all that interesting to me, but that’s what’s out there right now.

It makes sense for the SEC, because fans love that a strong conference means a entertaining season with championship implications which means more talent coming to the conference which feeds the cycle. Also there’s the whole southern pride thing.

Pros that cycle doesn’t really work because of the draft, so who knows.

I thought you lived in Philly?!

Also, Big 12 is god awful. Nothing more fun than watching a bunch of soccer player types flit around the field with defenders roughly as athletic as I am.

I currently live in a Philly suburb, but grew up in central NJ where there’s a mix of NY and Philly fans. For whatever reason, I became a Giants fan but a Philly fan for all other sports.

Let’s not go overboard. There are some pretty good Big 12 defensive alumni in the NFL:

Gerald McCoy

Brian Orakpo

Aqib Talib

Earl Thomas

Jordan Hicks

Come to mind immediately.

http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2016/09/01/hard-image-as-tony-romo-gets-2nd-mri-a-look-at-his-cowboys-legacy/

Well-written article on why Romo is extremely underrated, and how there’s plenty of blame to go ‘round for the Cowboys’ mediocrity over the past ten years.

Bump for closure. Well, maybe.

Not really. You, Sweep, and all the other AFC fans will get to see Romo for many many years to come!

I, on the other hand, will continue to enjoy Joe Buck and Troy Aikman.

Just FYI, Fox > CBS, at least WRT NFL coverage.

respekt.

#FreeCvM

Bump.

How do you guys feel about Romo as an announcer?

I, for one, am very pleasantly surprised. I didn’t really like Phil Simms, but I thought it was a bad idea for them to throw Romo into the #1 slot when he had never called a game. But I really like him. Has a good understanding of the game, and is able to articulate it to the audience. I think he’s killing it in the booth.

Romo is awesome as an announcer. The guy is accurately predicting so many plays and giving great in-depth analysis. Simms was blah.

Romo and Aikman are the best out there right now.

Yeah, Romo has been fantastic. He’s easily excitable, sometimes maybe a bit too much (but it’s not as bizarre as say, Jon Gruden). I get a kick out of how mad he gets when the QB makes a perfect throw and the receiver drops it.

Romo good.

I’m shocked at how bad MNF has gotten. Not just Gruden, but the camera angles and direction are terrible. ESPN should be ashamed.

^True. If ESPN had any pride left, they would retire.

edit - and since I don’t have to listen to Phil Simm’s dumb a$$, I might watch the CBS games a little more often.

Fox > CBS

Chris collinsworth da best fools don’t get it twisted

I haven’t watched a Romo broadcast yet.

Between Romo, Aikman, and Daryl Johnston, America’s Team is redefining the color commentator position.

(Emmitt smith and Michael Irvin—�not so much.)

Jimmy Johnson is good in the studio too.