I'm afraid of walking into any dealership.

Im glad higgmond that you found confirmation somewhere to satisfy your underlying sub-conscious desire to buy new!

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > great advice for some people in LA indeed, when > you find out that your monthly car payment exceeds > your rent, you’re likely a dbag That’s insane. I couldn’t rationally spend more than 600/mo on a car payment. WTF is the point afterwards unless you have the means to just buy cars outright.

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > great advice for some people in LA indeed, when > you find out that your monthly car payment exceeds > your rent, you’re likely a dbag That’s insane. I couldn’t rationally spend more than 600/mo on a car payment. WTF is the point afterwards unless you have the means to just buy cars outright.

pedpenny Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Im glad higgmond that you found confirmation > somewhere to satisfy your underlying sub-conscious > desire to buy new! Numbers don’t lie. Before even considering differences in remaining warranty, a relatively low-mileage used was going to cost $0.004 cents more per mile over the period I expect to own the vehicle. Again, this certainly isn’t the case for all vehicles.

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > pedpenny Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Im glad higgmond that you found confirmation > > somewhere to satisfy your underlying > sub-conscious > > desire to buy new! > > > Numbers don’t lie. Before even considering > differences in remaining warranty, a relatively > low-mileage used was going to cost $0.004 cents > more per mile over the period I expect to own the > vehicle. Again, this certainly isn’t the case for > all vehicles. I’d have to check your assumptions on this one… Care to post?

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > I’d have to check your assumptions on this one… > Care to post? Best negotiated price new was $31,700 (compared to sticker of $37,149) and car had 90 miles on it. Best negotiated price on a 2 year old, but identically equipped, used was $27,260. Used had 23,487 miles on it. Assuming I keep either one until it reaches 150,000 miles, the new one will cost me 0.211 per mile that I drive it, while the used one would cost me 0.215 per mile that I drive it. Again, this give no consideration to the fact that the new one has more warranty left and has 23K miles less wear and tear. Calculation also ignores the fact that I’ll get to 150,000 miles on the used one 18 months sooner and will therefore be buying again that much sooner.

I’ve never seen a two year old car trading at a 15% discount to brand new actual value, but I’ve never seen a lot of things… You’re also ignoring slightly higher value at termination as well (2 years newer, but that # is probably minimal).

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ve never seen a two year old car trading at a > 15% discount to brand new actual value, but I’ve > never seen a lot of things… > > You’re also ignoring slightly higher value at > termination as well (2 years newer, but that # is > probably minimal). Decent low mileage are few and far between for this particular vehicle for some reason. I could only find 2 within a 50 mile radius of my house, as compared to 14 new ones.

What vehicle was this if you don’t mind my asking?

tj2001 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What vehicle was this if you don’t mind my asking? Our new familymobile, a Nissan Murano with 360 Value Package, Premium Package and Leather Package.

I imagine luxury imports such as the Murano wouldn’t depreciate as fast as other vehicles.